Planning Council/October 3 2018
- 1 Logistics
- 2 Members
- 3 Previous meeting minutes
- 4 Attendance
- 5 Agenda
- 6 Regrets
- 7 Notes
|Meeting Title:||Planning Council Conference Call|
|Date & Time:||Wednesday, Oct 3, 2018, at 11:00 EDT|
|Dial in:|| Topic: Planning Council Meeting
Time: this is a recurring meeting Meet anytime
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://eclipse.zoom.us/j/928841320
Or iPhone one-tap :
US: +16699006833,,928841320# or +14086380968,,928841320#
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location)： US: +1 669 900 6833 or +1 408 638 0968 or +1 646 876 9923 Canada: +1 647 558 0588 France: +33 (0) 1 8288 0188 Germany: +49 (0) 30 3080 6188 United Kingdom: +44 (0) 20 3695 0088 Switzerland: +41 (0) 31 528 0988 Sweden: +46 (0) 8 4468 2488 Denmark: +45 89 88 37 88 Netherlands: +31 (0) 20 241 0288 Meeting ID: 928 841 320 International numbers available: https://eclipse.zoom.us/zoomconference?m=DufCm8dm7aEOYkLMWpY6qLgJMUtWhOnf
Temporary Planning Council Chair: Nick Boldt Planning Council Chair: Melanie Bats (returns Dec 2018)
- Wayne Beaton
- Frederic Gurr
- Mikael Barbero
- CA Technologies
- CEA LIST
- Ericsson AB (Marc-Andre Laperle)
- IBM (Thomas Watson)
- itemis AG (Alexander Nyssen)
- Obeo (Melanie Bats)
- Oracle (Neil Hauge)
- Red Hat, Inc. (Nick Boldt)
- Robert Bosch GmbH
- SAP SE (Stephan Merker)
- Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools (BIRT) PMC (Gary Xue)
- Data Tools Platform PMC (Brian Payton)
- Eclipse Cloud Development PMC (Martin Lippert)
- Eclipse Project PMC (Dani Megert)
- LocationTech Technology
- Eclipse Modeling Project PMC (Ed Merks)
- Mylyn (Application Lifecycle Tools) PMC (Sam Davis)
- Eclipse Runtime Project (RT) PMC
- Eclipse Science
- Service Oriented Architecture PMC (Adrian Mos)
- Technology PMC (Chris Aniszczyk)
- Tools Project PMC (Aleksandar Kurtakov)
- Eclipse Web Tools Platform Project (WTP) PMC (Carl Anderson)
Previous meeting minutes
- Review previous meeting minutes if you'd like. That is, review them before the meeting, but if questions or issues with previous minutes, this would be a good time to bring them up.
Nick Boldt, Frederic Gurr, Martin Lippert, Pierre Charles David, Tom Watson, Dani, Mikael Barbero, Alex K
- [Wayne] Simultaneous Release Dates for 2018-12 - https://www.eclipse.org/lists/eclipse.org-planning-council/msg03148.html
- CQ submission deadline
- Nov 28 - IP log submission deadline
- Dec 5 - Review and N&N due
- Dec 19 - Release reviews
- Dec 19 - Eclipse SimRel 2018-12 GA
- [Wayne] Opt-in rules: announcement requirement? join-in/drop-out deadline?
Bonus Bikeshedding Topic
- [Wayne] Eclipse Placeholder IDE for Java Developers, 2018-12 Edition" is created from the "Eclipse Placeholder Simultaneous Release": what could we use for Placeholder?
Schedule, Dates, Opt-in vs. Opt-out
Dani/Wayne: Rather than opting in, we throw everyone out (disable all aggregator files) and they re-add themselves if they're not a new project.
Fred: We used to do this, but because some projects didn't reply in time, this broke some M1 builds. We decided to opt-out instead of opt-in to avoid needlessly broken early builds.
Wayne: I can't recall which approach we prefer. Dani: We decided not to throw out projects as this would be too disruptive (see Fred's comment).
Dani: what's wrong with using the release record for opt-in?
Wayne: Even simpler than having to update release record, we would just have this opt-in recorded in aggregator files.
Dani/Wayne: we should enforce no /latest/ URLs in aggregator files, so it's more obvious that people are opting in, contributing new builds.
Wayne: if you're new, you must announce yourself. Existing projects w/ breaking changes should announce those changes (eg., platform 4.10 dropping 32-bit support).
AI: Wayne: add a new date to the simrel schedule for when an announcement is send to cross-projects@, to report who we think is participating. If URLs are found w/ /latest/ or snapshot, they should be disabled?
AI: Wayne: send note to cross-projects@ to announce not opting in
Fred: auditing will be in place to prevent late changes / new features being added after M3, eg., as simple as disabling jenkins jobs?
AI: Wayne: update "ASAP" re: "Create your release record (for new releases)". Actual date is on/before Oct 19.
AI: Wayne: create a wiki page for N&N so projects can choose to post their content. Deadline 2 weeks before GA (Dec 5). Offer of help from Lakshmi?
- AI: Dani: to follow up if Wayne doesn't find Lakshmi's email
New projects must join by M1, Oct 19 (not Oct 5 as previously suggested).
2 questions from the Foundation to solve:
- TLP rename
- simrel rename
Dani: (for TLP) show me the rules where it says the name must be trademarkable
Alex: who is responsible for maintaining this doc? how can we get it changed/evolved?
AI: Wayne to produce documentation re: rules and send to planning-council list
ECE Planning Council Meetup?
Dani: who will be at ECE? Arch council has a breakfast. We could do a planning council meetup. Fred/Dani/Wayne to plan a meeting
Wayne: if you want informal we can do that; if more formal might require some effort to plan
AI: Dani: send email to planning-council list to see who'll be at ECE and who would want to meetup.
2018-09M1 had some challenges, but plans are in place to avoid those problems when we start up 2018-12 M1 soon.
AI: Fred restrict pushing to simrel w/o gerrit review
Everything should be moved over to https://accounts.eclipse.org/ already, but if you find anything that isn't please email wayne / open a BZ with links/details.