Planning Council/January 3 2018
|Meeting Title:||Planning Council Conference Call|
|Date & Time:||Wednesday, January 3, 2018, at 1200 Noon Eastern|
|Dial in:|| Topic: Planning Council Meeting
Time: this is a recurring meeting Meet anytime
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://eclipse.zoom.us/j/928841320
Or iPhone one-tap :
US: +16699006833,,928841320# or +14086380968,,928841320#
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location)： US: +1 669 900 6833 or +1 408 638 0968 or +1 646 876 9923 Canada: +1 647 558 0588 France: +33 (0) 1 8288 0188 Germany: +49 (0) 30 3080 6188 United Kingdom: +44 (0) 20 3695 0088 Switzerland: +41 (0) 31 528 0988 Sweden: +46 (0) 8 4468 2488 Denmark: +45 89 88 37 88 Netherlands: +31 (0) 20 241 0288 Meeting ID: 928 841 320 International numbers available: https://eclipse.zoom.us/zoomconference?m=DufCm8dm7aEOYkLMWpY6qLgJMUtWhOnf
Planning Council Chair: Melanie Bats
- Wayne Beaton
- Frederic Gurr
- Mikael Barbero
- CA Technologies
- CEA LIST
- Ericsson AB (Marc-Andre Laperle)
- IBM (Thomas Watson)
- itemis AG (Alexander Nyssen)
- Obeo (Melanie Bats)
- Oracle (Neil Hauge)
- Red Hat, Inc. (Nick Boldt)
- Robert Bosch GmbH
- SAP SE (Stephan Merker)
- Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools (BIRT) PMC (Gary Xue)
- Data Tools Platform PMC (Brian Payton)
- Eclipse Cloud Development PMC (Martin Lippert)
- Eclipse Project PMC (Dani Megert)
- LocationTech Technology
- Eclipse Modeling Project PMC (Ed Merks)
- Mylyn (Application Lifecycle Tools) PMC (Sam Davis)
- Eclipse Runtime Project (RT) PMC
- Eclipse Science
- Service Oriented Architecture PMC (Adrian Mos)
- Technology PMC (Chris Aniszczyk)
- Tools Project PMC (Aleksandar Kurtakov)
- Eclipse Web Tools Platform Project (WTP) PMC (Carl Anderson)
Previous meeting minutes
- Review previous meeting minutes if you'd like. That is, review them before the meeting, but if questions or issues with previous minutes, this would be a good time to bring them up.
- Oxygen & Photon status (by Fred Gurr)
- CBI aggregator
- Future of the SimRel (by Mélanie Bats)
/!\ Very low participation : Kind reminder to everyone, as a Planning Council Member you should participate to the call and to the mailing list, when you are not available for the call you should send a representative.
Aleksandar Kurtakov (Tools Project), Dani Megert (Eclipse Project), Frederic Gurr (Eclipse Foundation), Mélanie Bats (Obeo)
Martin Lippert (Eclipse Cloud Development PMC), Alexander Nyssen (itemis AG), Mikael Barbero (Eclipse Foundation), Wayne Beaton (Eclipse Foundation), Nick Boldt (Red Hat; on vacation this week)
Oxygen & Photon status (by Fred Gurr)
Not a lot to say, Photon M4 & Oxygen.2 were released. Next steps : Photon M5 Friday, February 02, 2018 and Oxygen.3 Wednesday, March 21, 2018
An Oxygen.3a should occur due to the release of Java 10 in March 20, 2018
Raised by Stephan Herrmann https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=528798
Should we keep CBI aggregator alive or do we switch to a Tycho based solution?
Aleksandar points that the code of the CBI aggregator is outdated, unmaintainable and makes lots of assumptions about P2 that are not anymore true. No one still knows the code base. In another hand, lots of people are used to work with Tycho. A year ago Mickael Istria started to create some patches to got to a Tycho based solution. Fred will have a look to the remaining patches not yet merged. Aleksandar says that they will try to push to a Tycho based solution but without any promise. In any case, Fred will support any moves, and keep the releng running until a new solution works.
Future of the SimRel
The Planning Council has decided for the future of the SimRel that :
- A new release will occur every 12 weeks.
- All the work will be done only on one stream.
- And that only one repository will be used that will be continuously updated. A stable "latest" url will be used to allow the user to update continuously.
- Specific urls will be available to reference any release. No composite repos will be built.
- The opt-in process will evolve, mostly projects would be assumed "in" and someone will take care of cleaning the outdated projects from time to time.
- It would be possible to add, update and remove API on any release.
The Planning Council discussed the following points during the call:
- A first release cycle planning was discussed:
- M1 Friday Week 2
- M2 Friday Week 4
- M3 Friday Week 6
- M4 Friday Week 8
- RC1 Friday Week 9 API & Feature freeze
- RC2 Friday Week 10
- Quiet week Week 11, it is assumed all code is done by the end of RC2.
- GA Wednesday Week 12
We still need to be nail how the legal team can handle the load of CQs and how we deal with the release reviews, maybe they can be simplified?
When the EPP packages will be built ? For each milsetones and RCs? How many manual work it needs? We should take care of that and discuss this with EPP packages maintainers?
Between M4 and RC1 accepted changes will be only the ones to adjust what came with M4 for projects that are higher in the stack.
- The existence of a nightly SimRel build was also discussed, would it be an aggregation only build ? or building from the source ? It was conclude that it would not be necessary if the Gerrit builds run enough.