Planning Council/December 6 2017
|Meeting Title:||Planning Council Conference Call|
|Date & Time:||Wednesday, December 6, 2017, at 1200 Noon Eastern|
|Dial in:|| Topic: PC call - Dec 6 only
Time: Dec 6, 2017 12:00 AM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://eclipse.zoom.us/j/636198543?pwd=tWzAHHXJzXQ
Or iPhone one-tap :
US: +14086380968,,636198543# or +16468769923,,636198543#
Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location)： US: +1 408 638 0968 or +1 646 876 9923 or +1 669 900 6833 Meeting ID: 636 198 543 International numbers available: https://eclipse.zoom.us/zoomconference?m=nNBU6gfmKc0Nc84Dn4eAG6zY9BDa2x6C
Planning Council Chair: Melanie Bats
- Wayne Beaton
- Frederic Gurr
- Mikael Barbero
- CA Technologies
- CEA LIST
- Ericsson AB (Marc-Andre Laperle)
- IBM (Thomas Watson)
- itemis AG (Alexander Nyssen)
- Obeo (Melanie Bats)
- Oracle (Neil Hauge)
- Red Hat, Inc. (Nick Boldt)
- Robert Bosch GmbH
- SAP SE (Stephan Merker)
- Business Intelligence and Reporting Tools (BIRT) PMC (Gary Xue)
- Data Tools Platform PMC (Brian Payton)
- Eclipse Cloud Development PMC (Martin Lippert)
- Eclipse Project PMC (Dani Megert) - R
- LocationTech Technology
- Eclipse Modeling Project PMC (Ed Merks)
- Mylyn (Application Lifecycle Tools) PMC (Sam Davis)
- Eclipse Runtime Project (RT) PMC (Ian Bull)
- Eclipse Science
- Service Oriented Architecture PMC (Adrian Mos)
- Technology PMC (Chris Aniszczyk)
- Tools Project PMC (Aleksandar Kurtakov)
- Eclipse Web Tools Platform Project (WTP) PMC (Carl Anderson)
Note: "Inactive" refers to Strategic Members or PMCs we have not heard from for a while and have been unable to convince to participate. Those members can become active again at any time. Contact Wayne Beaton if questions.
Note: feel free to correct any errors/omissions in above attendance record.
Y = Yes, attended
N = No, did not
R = regrets sent ahead of time
D = delegated
X = not expected
Previous meeting minutes
- Review previous meeting minutes if you'd like. That is, review them before the meeting, but if questions or issues with previous minutes, this would be a good time to bring them up.
- Oxygen & Photon status (by Fred Gurr/Mikael Barbero)
- Future of the SimRel (by Mélanie Bats)
Oxygen & Photon status (by Fred Gurr)
Everything is going nicely, there is no big issue.
- this week = RC4
- next week = quiet week
- release for Wednesday, December 20, 2017
Photon M4 is for Friday, December 15, 2017
Fred works on cleaning the SimRel Jenkins instance, some disk space, improving wiki pages...
Future of the SimRel
The planning council has decided to propose for the future of the SimRel that :
- A new release will occur every 12 weeks.
- All the work will be done only on one stream.
- And that only one repository will be used that will be continuously updated. A stable "latest" URL will be used to allow the user to update continuously.
- Specific URLs will be available to reference any release.
- The opt-in process will evolve, mostly projects would be assumed "in" and someone will take care of cleaning the outdated projects from time to time.
- It would be possible to add, update and remove API on any release.
Before deletion an announcement of the intention would be done a long time before (1 year or 2 year) in order that the depending projects have time to upgrade to the new API.
- As The release cycle will be shorter, we will have also shorter period for breakage and shorter testing phase. A proposed planning will be discussed on the mailing list
- A nightly SimRel build should be running.
Remaining questions :
- How do we organize the verification & tests in order to evolve from a by hand homologation to a more automatic one ?
How do we implement integration testing ? Do we automatically create something which contains everything starting it and see how it is going on ? who would be responsible for that ?
- Do the EDP delays, release review and manual IP log would scale ?
Theoretically release review should be done 2 weeks before the release. But it is possible to continue to accept new contributions after that. So changing the frequency should not change nothing for this point.
- How do we name the releases ? What do we do about code names?