Notice: this Wiki will be going read only early in 2024 and edits will no longer be possible. Please see: https://gitlab.eclipse.org/eclipsefdn/helpdesk/-/wikis/Wiki-shutdown-plan for the plan.
Monitoring UI Workgroup-24-Oct-2006
Minutes: Monitoring UI Use Cases 24-Oct-2006
Toni Drapkin (IBM)
Peter Dorfman (Sybase)
Craig Thomas (Groundwork)
Mark Weitzel (IBM)
- During the first part of the meeting we discussed the actors. We reviewed the newgroup postings. Part of the purpose of this was to understand what kinds of behavior should be included and excluded from the scope of COSMOS.
- The wiki page on actors has also been updated
- There was a recognition that Eclipse serves 2 “big” roles. These uniquely position COSMOS to address multiple roles in the overall life cycle.
- Software Development IDE users - people who prepare components for use in COSMOS
- RCP type application users - people who use COSMOS to conduct IT Management
- We discussed where the boundaries should be with the Monitoring UI relative to commercial applications. These have started to be documented in the General Requirements section.
This discussion led to a realization that, as a way of scoping our work, in addition to encouraging each sub-group to produce the same information, we should document how we expect the overall COSMOS to be consumed/extended etc. by commercial applications. A new page on the wiki has been started for this: Leveraging COSMSOS
- There was discussion about the language in the Eclipse COSMOS Project Proposal that describes that the project is aimed at creating a "platform" of "components" for software developers. Here's the language:
The mission of the Eclipse COSMOS Project is to build a generic, extensible, standards-based components for a tools platform upon which software developers can create specialized, differentiated, and inter-operable offerings of tools for system management.
- The language of the project proposal also refers to "reusable examples" of user interfaces, and a "reference implementation" of SML-IF storage and validation.
- There was a discussion on how the use of SML would be crucial to the success of COMSOS. We wanted to propose, as part of the high level architecture discussion, where SML would fit and how it would be used. A new page in the wiki was created for this discussion and is linked to in the architecture section. Leveraging SML. Some examples...
- Making the Monitor UI “aware” of the resource that it is observing. Having a model of the resource available
- Using well defined models to integrate the tooling and instrumentation (need to discuss with BTM team)
- There was the question of process raised, specifically, what are we going to do with the information produced during these calls.
- Use these meetings as a way to engage the community to reach a common understanding of what we will build together under COSMOS
- Produce the required set of information for the next milestone, the COSMOS Project Creation Review
- Next meeting 31-Oct-2006