Notice: this Wiki will be going read only early in 2024 and edits will no longer be possible. Please see: https://gitlab.eclipse.org/eclipsefdn/helpdesk/-/wikis/Wiki-shutdown-plan for the plan.
Gitter.im chat rooms
We use Gitter.im for chat communication related to individual working groups. Each Github repository can have a Gitter room associated with it to discuss work related to that repository.
Each repository with an associated Gitter room should contain a Gitter badge with a link to the chat room in its README file.
Public history of communication on Gitter
All the chat communication is recorded by Gitter and publicly available without any need for a Gitter account. For example, the history for top-level MicroProfile API chat is available here: https://gitter.im/eclipse/microprofile-bom
How to create a Gitter room for a repository
While signed into Gitter.im
- Open Eclipse Gitter community page
- Press the "ADD A ROOM" buttom at the bottom of the left sidebar
- Select eclipse community and the name of a MicroProfile Github repository (the repository must be in the Eclipse Github organization)
- Leave all other options at their defaults and press the "Create" button
- Invite relevant people if applicable
Then add a description to the room:
- Open the Gitter room
- Hover the mouse cursor over the room name at the top
- Double-click and type a description
Then link the Github repository with the room (a Gitter badge in the README):
- Open the room and press the "Room settings" button - an icon next to the profile image in the top right corner
- Press "Share this chat room"
- Press the "Send Pull Request" button
- DO NOT MERGE the pull request
- Close the pull request and raise it under your Eclipse Github account as a usual pull request