Lead: Javier Montalvo-Orús (Symbian)
Members: Symbian, Freescale, WR
Autodetect through service discovery
We want to
- Autodetect boards on the local network or in a lab
- Autodetect services on a remote system
- Autodetect connection mechanisms to a board (connectors)
- Autodetect remote board registries (related to Shared Board Labs)
in order to simplify setup of remote system connections for a user.
To enable service discovery to RSE get the plugins from CVS (/cvsroot/dsdp/org.eclipse.tm.core/discovery/) or download the working 2006/10/10 nightly build
It contains the following plugins:
- org.eclipse.tm.discovery.engine: Engine for the service discovery process
- org.eclipse.tm.discovery.protocol: Contains the factory, interface and extension point org.eclipse.tm.discovery.engine.discoveryProtocol to define protocols
- org.eclipse.tm.discovery.transport: Contains the factory, interface and extension point org.eclipse.tm.discovery.engine.discoveryTransport to define transports
- org.eclipse.tm.discovery.protocol.dnssd: Implementation of the DNS - Service Discovery protocol
- org.eclipse.tm.discovery.transport.udp: Implementation of the UDP transport
- org.eclipse.tm.discovery.view: View to browse discovered services, independent of RSE and enabled to launch the wizard page to start a new service discovery process.
- org.eclipse.tm.discovery.wizard: Wizard pages for service discovery
- org.eclipse.tm.discovery.model, org.eclipse.tm.discovery.mode.edit: EMF model for Service Discovery (requires EMF 2.2.0)
- org.eclipse.rse.discovery: Link between RSE and the target management packages. Provides a customised wizard for the Discovery system type.
Service discovery usage on RSE
The default plugins contains the implementation of DNS-SD (Zeroconf/Bonjour) over UDP, other implementations can be provided through extension points. The multicast address for DNS-SD is 22.214.171.124, but a specific IP can be used if just querying one device.
The usage of service discovery can be seen on the service discovery recording
To test and evaluate the service discovery functionality in RSE 2.0, follow the testing intructions in the manual test plan
Use cases for autodetect
- New Connection - instead of having to type an IP address, get a list of available systems. Grouped by system type, connection type (serial vs. TCP/IP), LAN/WAN range etc.
- In the New Connection Wizard, when the remote system is already identified, get available services / subsystems pre-selected as detected on the remote system (or disabled if not available on the remote system).
- New Board Lab - instead of having to type an IP address, get a list of available board lab servers.
- Bugzilla bug 140320