XQuery Development Tools/Workspace Setup for Dummies
This article is meant to give you detailed instructions on how to set up your Workspace in order to build and test XQDT on your machine. The steps described cover setting up minimal dependencies and development environment with Helios Classic. Larger packages will have some of the required features pre-installed.
Install Eclipse 3.7 (Indigo) Dependencies
From the menu, choose "Help > Install New Software…"
Pick the "Indigo - http://download.eclipse.org/releases/indigo" site in the "Work with" drop-down list and install the following packages (if not already installed):
- Eclipse EGit
General Purpose Tools
- Dynamic Languages Toolkit - Core Frameworks
- Eclipse Plug-In Development Environment (this is, most probably, already installed)
- Eclipse Java Development Tools (this is, most probably, already installed)
Web, XML, and Java EE Development
- Eclipse Faceted Project Framework
- Eclipse XML Editors and Tools (this will bring down the Structured Source Editor; we are trying to build the new XQuery editor based on this one instead on the DLTK source editor)
Finish the installation wizard and restart your Eclipse.
Get XQDT Source from Git
- From the menu, choose "File > Import…"
- Select Git > Projects from Git
- Click Clone… to pull a new local repository.
- Enter URI: git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/webtools/org.eclipse.webtools.incubator.git
- If you are a committer enter your credentials. Thus you will be able to push changes back.
- Select xquery-dev branch only, accept defaults after that.
- Select the repository you just cloned: org.eclipse.webtools.incubator
- Accept the default to "Import Existing Projects".
- Click Finish.
- You might wanna create new Working Sets to group the projects (in your Package Explorer you must make sure that "Working Sets" is selected in the "Top Level Elements" menu)
- "XQDT tests" for all projects having the name ending with "test"
- "XQDT features" for all projects having the name ending with "feature"
- "XQDT Zorba" for all projects containing "zorba" in the name
- "XQDT 28msec" for all projects containing "set" in the name
- "XQDT Marklogic" for all projects containing "marklogic" in the name
Set Up To Launch XQDT
From the menu, select "Run > Run Configurations…"
Select Eclipse Application
Create a New configuration.
Enter a name.
Select for Run a product: org.eclipse.platform.ide
If you wish to restrict the plugins loaded when testing:
- Click Plug-ins tab.
- Select for Launch with: plug-ins selected below only
- Click Deselect All
- Check the box next to Workspace
- Click Add Required Plug-ins
- Check org.eclipse.ui.ide.application [ ? WHY IS THIS NECESSARY ? ]
- Click Apply