Difference between revisions of "WTP FAQ"
(→Where can I find out more about the Tomcat support in WTP?)
|Line 107:||Line 107:|
===Where can I find out more about the Tomcat support in WTP?===
===Where can I find out more about the Tomcat support in WTP?===
For more information about the support for Tomcat 4.0 through Tomcat 5.5 in WTP, see this separate [
For more information about the support for Tomcat 4.0 through Tomcat 5.5 in WTP, see this separate .
Revision as of 00:42, 20 November 2007
- 1 Eclipse Web Tools Frequent Asked Questions
- 2 General
- 2.1 How is the Eclipse Web Tools platformed licensed?
- 2.2 How can I tell what is new and noteworthy within an specific release?
- 2.3 How can I find a list of known problems with a release?
- 2.4 Why am I getting a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space?
- 2.5 After updating to Eclipse Europa why did I get this "can't find view" error?
- 2.6 Who are the contributors to the Eclipse Web Tools Platform Project?
- 2.7 What version of Eclipse does WTP work with?
- 2.8 Which zip file should I download?
- 2.9 How do I install WTP?
- 2.10 Are there any WTP tutorials available?
- 3 Data Tools
- 4 Java EE
- 5 Server/Internet
- 6 Web
- 7 Web Services
- 7.1 Can the WSDL validator be extended to validate extension elements, for example partnerLinks and properties from the WS-BPEL specification?
- 7.2 Why does WTP produce errors for multiple import statements for the same namespace in WSDL 1.1?
- 7.3 What are the list of known problems for Axis2 Web services in WTP 2.0?
- 8 XML
Eclipse Web Tools Frequent Asked Questions
Many of the FAQ's found on this page have been pulled from the WTP newsgroup. Thank you to everyone that took the time to answer these questions.
Looking for FAQ's related to the development of WTP? See the Committer FAQ.
If you have identified a FAQ that is not in this list, please add it to the list. You will need a bugzilla user id in order to edit the page.
How is the Eclipse Web Tools platformed licensed?
The Eclipse Web Tools Platform consists of software produced by the Eclipse Project combined with third party software from other open source projects. The software produced by the Eclipse Project is made available under the Eclipse Public License. Third party components are made available under their own licenses. The detailed licensing information can be found in the Eclipse.org Software User Agreement (notice.html) file in the root directory of the SDK download. Licensing for third party components is described in about.html files in the respective subdirectories.
How can I tell what is new and noteworthy within an specific release?
All of the New and Noteworthy documents can be found on the main web site.
How can I find a list of known problems with a release?
To be filled in.
Why am I getting a java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: PermGen space?
The default maximum PermGen space set by your JRE may be too small. You can increase the maximum PermGen size by launching WTP with VM argument:
Note that this issue only appears to happen using a Sun Java Runtime. Others runtime environments do not seem to have this issue.
After updating to Eclipse Europa why did I get this "can't find view" error?
After updating to Eclipse Europa I restart and get this error:
Problems occurred restoring workbench.
Could not find view: org.eclipse.wst.rdb.server.ui.navigator.serverExplorer
These errors are expected as RDB is not a part of Europa, so the associated RDB views and perspectives are not there. The user can use the new DTP views and perspectives.
Who are the contributors to the Eclipse Web Tools Platform Project?
What version of Eclipse does WTP work with?
- WTP 1.0.x runs on Eclipse 3.1.x.
- WTP 1.5.x runs on Eclipse 3.2.
- WTP 2.0.x runs on Eclipse 3.3.
- WTP 3.0 is planned for Eclipse 3.4.
To use WTP with Eclipse 2.1.x see the IBM alphaWorks project IBM Web Tools for Eclipse.
Which zip file should I download?
The WTP SDK (wtp-sdk-*.zip) includes both the Web Standard Tools and J2EE Standard Tools, including source and both user and programmer documentation. If you aren't sure which download you need, you should probably get the SDK.
The software development kit (SDK) downloads are for developers wishing to build solutions on top of the Web Tools Platform, while the non-SDK (e.g.: wtp-0.7.zip) downloads are suitable for everyone else's use. The project also provides separate builds of the Web Standard Tools (wtp-wst-*.zip) by themselves for those uninterested in the tooling for J2EE standards.
How do I install WTP?
- Automatic installation using the Update Manager in Eclipse 3.2.x
- The Web Tools Platform has several required projects that must all be installed for proper operation. Each WTP build is built and tested with specific versions of these "prereqs" (see the Requirements section on each specific build's download page) and it's recommended that only those versions be installed and active when used with a particular WTP build. The WTP download page for each build details the complete list of requirements and provides links to download the supported versions. Downloading and unpacking each should place its contents into a folder named eclipse.
- Unpack the Eclipse SDK
- Unzip the Graphical Editor Framework (GEF) into the same location
- Unzip the Eclipse Modeling Framework (EMF) / XML Schema Infoset Model (XSD) / Service Data Objects (SDO) into the same location
- Unzip the Java EMF Model (JEM) from the Visual Editor Project into the same location [if listed among the prereqs]
- Unzip the Web Tools Platform build into the same location
WTP should now be installed. Launch Eclipse with the -clean option one time to ensure all plug-ins are detected properly.
The identical revision of the full VE-SDK may be substituted for the listed JEM-SDK version if you wish to use the Visual Editor and the Web Tools Platform at the same time.
A screencast that includes setting up Xdoclet and a JBoss 3.x test server is also available.
Are there any WTP tutorials available?
Yes! See the WTP Community Resources page.
Where can I find the WTP Data Tools?
Select Window->Show View->Other...->Data. You can then open the Database Explorer and Data Output views. Note: WTP 2.0 will not contain its own data tools as the Data Tools Project is now available.
Where can I find the New J2EE Web Module wizard?
J2EE Web Module has been renamed Dynamic Web Project.
Does the WTP include a visual JSP editor?
There is no visual JSP editor in WTP 1.5.
A Web Page Designer is available as part of WTP 2.0.
How do I install XDoclet in WTP?
To install XDoclet:
- Download XDoctlet from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=31602.
- Unzip XDoclet to a directory on your machine such as C:\XDoclet
- Specify the directory in which XDoclet is located in Window->Preferences->J2EE Annotations->XDoclet.
What types of EJBs does WTP support?
WTP supports entity, session and messages driven beans. Support for the Java Persistence Architecture (JPA) is available from the Eclipse Dali Project.
The license dialog hangs Eclipse or doesn't allow me to click accept. What can I do?
This issue is fixed in WTP 1.5.3. If you are experiencing this issue please update to a 1.5.x or greater version.
Where are cached files located?
The cached files are located in WORKSPACE_DIR/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.wst.internet.cache. The entries are all named with numbers but you can see the mappings in the cache.xml file located in the same directory.
How do I debug JSPs with BEA WebLogic Server 8.x?
BEA WebLogic Server 8.x and earlier do not support JSR-45; WebLogic Server 9.x and later do support JSR-45 so you can debug JSP files with them using WTP (note: there are outstanding issues with JSP source lookup for the WLS Generic adapter in 0.7 - see bug 104401).
How do I debug JSPs with Apache Tomcat 4.x?
Apache Tomcat 4.x and earlier do not support JSR-45; Tomcat 5.x and later do support JSR-45 so you can debug JSP files with them using WTP.
Where can I find out more about the Tomcat support in WTP?
For more information about the support for Tomcat 4.0 through Tomcat 5.5 in WTP, see this separate WTP_Tomcat_FAQ.
You're likely editing an XHTML file which requires that the file be well formed XML.
JSDT has been incorporated into WTP 3.0 Milestone 3.
Can the WSDL validator be extended to validate extension elements, for example partnerLinks and properties from the WS-BPEL specification?
Yes! The WSDL validator has extension points (which should all be considered internal, non-API at this point) which allow you to plug your own extension validator for a given namespace into the WSDL validator.
In this case, you can create a validator for the WS-BPEL namespace and plug-it into the WSDL validator. Your validator will get called any time an element from the WS-BPEL namespace is encountered.
The WSDL HTTP validator and SOAP validator both use this extension mechanism. To contribute your validator to the WSDL validator you need to specify an entry in your plugin manifest as follows: (I'm assuming http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/03/business-process/ is the BPEL namespace.)
<extension point="org.eclipse.wst.wsdl.validation.wsdl11validator"> <wsdl11validator class="org.example.WSBPELValidator" namespace="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/ws/2004/03/business-process/" resourcebundle="wsbpelvalidator"/> </extension>
Why does WTP produce errors for multiple import statements for the same namespace in WSDL 1.1?
The WSDL 1.1 schema restricts wsdl:import statements by specifying that they must contain unique namespaces. This means one import per namespace per WSDL document.
What are the list of known problems for Axis2 Web services in WTP 2.0?
Here are the list of major known bugs for Axis2 Web services in WTP 2.0:
- 184301 - Ant task not supported for Axis2 Web service. The workaround is to use the Web services wizard instead.
- 187840 - InvocationTargetException in Axis2 scenario. The workaround is to retry the scenario or to exit and re-enter the workbench.
- 186429 - Validation of Axis2 JSP is slow. The workaround is to turn off JSP validation in the Preferences.
- 192522 - FileNotFoundException copying to build/classes directory. The workaround is to set Java output directory to build/classes or apply the patch attached to the bug.
- 194786 - Problem running Axis2 servlet on server with different servlet level. The workaround is to delete servletapi-2.3.jar from the WebContent/WEB-INF/lib directory and restart the WAR or EAR.
- 192280 - RPC/encoded not supported in Axis2 client and skeleton scenario.
- 193593 - Custom namespace to package mapping not working.
- 193996 - Unable to select ports and services for client or skeleton.
- 184627 - Error deleting Axis2 project. The workaround is to stop the server first and then remove the project from the server before deleting the project.
How do I use my own filename extensions in the XML editor? It only works correctly if a file ends with .xml.
Note: this also applies to the JSP and HTML editors and others in WTP
Earlier versions of Eclipse only allowed users to associated editors with custom file names using the File Associations preference page. Eclipse 3.1 supports a more flexible notion of Content Types that allows more than just editors to treat custom-named files as XML, for example. Instead of using the File Associations preference page, add the filename extension to the new Content Types preference page. Doing so "teaches" Eclipse about that filename extension so that features such as Validation and Task Tag detection also support those files correctly.
How do I programmatically add entries to the XML catalog?
The XML catalog extension point schema contains specific definitions of how to use the extension point. You can view the schema here.
For easier viewing, checkout the org.eclipse.wst.xml.core plugin from the repository and view this file with the Eclipse extension schema editor.
Why does the XML catalog preference dialog only show URI Key type entry when no file is selected?
As Public ID and System ID are only applicable to DTD entity resolution in order to see these options in addition to URI for the Key Type choice you must first select a DTD file.
When you select an XSD file you will see Namespace Name and Schema Location for the Key Type selection.