Difference between revisions of "WTP Architecture Working Group"

From Eclipsepedia

Jump to: navigation, search
m (Meeting 10/9)
m (October 22nd)
Line 32: Line 32:
 
[[Image:Wtp-arch-jst.gif]]
 
[[Image:Wtp-arch-jst.gif]]
  
= October 22nd =
+
== October 22nd ==
  
 
=== Features ===
 
=== Features ===

Revision as of 12:55, 5 November 2007

Contents

WTP Architecture Working Group

Plans

  • Make current with how things currently are (add, JSF, JPA, DTP, etc.)
  • Make current with how we want things to be (improved componentization, etc)
  • Make a Projects View
  • Make a Features View
  • Make recommendations that are important to release 3.0, such as
  • Can we install and/or enable proper capabilities for various install scenarios?
  • Should/can some plugins move to better components/features?
  • Work with project leads for the "bottoms up" perspective, and address what's realistic


Meeting 10/1

Attendees: Konstantin, Nitin, Cameron, Tim

  • minutes lost, thanks to a Windows blue screen

Meeting 10/9

Date: Tuesday, October 9th
Time: 2pm EDT/11am PDT

Attendees:


Topics: API, best practises

Wtp-arch-wst.gif Wtp-arch-jst.gif

October 22nd

Features

  • Core & UI shouldn't be split without specific reason, other feature splits (docs?) may not make as much sense either
  • We're not going to redo all of WTP, but we should have an overall architectural plan
  • interest is in starting with some of the core components - creating better features and separate downloads to promote reuse
  • discussed of the chicken & egg problem with separating out features and having adopters
  • decided that facets & snippets are the most logical components for reuse

Action items:

  • 1 - Write up policy on feature design for review (Tim)
  • 2 - Send note to community to get feedback on facets & snippets split, other ideas (Nitin)
  • 3 - Investigate dependencies and build changes required to make the split (Konstantin, Tim)
  • 4 - Send note to broader community (projects & users) to increase awareness and get feedback (later)

Internal API Usage

  • Reviewed current policy of usage scans, why it was adopted, and the need for a new policy
  • Suggestion of a grandfather date whereby we no longer accept usage scans
  • Discussed how our deprecation policy (for API, internal, and provisional) is tightly tied to this
  • Discussed the need to separate between legitimate v.s non-legitimate usage
  • Need some form of component/project 'graduation' from internal usage policy

Action item:

  • Write up a new policy for review (Tim)

Oct 29th meeting

Reviewed action items and spend most of the time discussing our API policy:

http://wiki.eclipse.org/WTP_API_Policy


Next meeting

Date: Monday, November 5th
Time: 2pm EDT/11am PDT
Call-in Info: 1 866-245-5059 Passcode: 4203514
Review feature architecture policy
Review deprecation and internal usage policy
Update on action items


Start of a new wiki page: http://wiki.eclipse.org/WTP_Projects_and_Features