WTP 3.0 Ramp down Plan for Ganymede
WTP Ramp down for Ganymede
Just to remind everyone, there is a bit of "ramp down" or control for every milestone. Typically the last week of a Milestone is for testing, and fixing only regressions and P1 or blocking defects. For milestones, the project lead (or delegate) is enough to review and approve a bug for inclusion in that milestone.
M5: The EclipseCon Milestone
We plan to ensure good enough quality that M5 can be used by the committers for demos and tutorials, etc.
M6: Feature Complete, API Freeze, UI Freeze
For M6, we plan to be functionally and API complete and the remaining Milestone and Release Candidates are for (only) fixing bugs, or fixing release required items (such as version numbers, licensing, etc.).
From M6 to M7, we expect each component lead (or delegate) to review and verify their teams' bugs (i.e. no PMC review ... though we will be watching :) ).
We expect committers to concentrate on performance and other "internal" improvements, after M6, leading up to M7. In addition, it's a good time to improve documentation (for end-users and adopters).
If there are exceptions to these conditions, then they will require PMC review. In that event, the Project Lead must open a bugzilla, detailing the feature to be added after M6 and mark for PMC review. And that must be done before M6 is declared. Exceptions (with bug numbers) will also be listed at the end of this document, to help facilitate communication.
- Place NLS or API or Feature in the heading of the bug depending on which type it is
- Notify PMC memebers PMC Defect Review, 1 vote is needed
- Once approved, code can be released
- Update this page to append the bug at the bottom of the page
M7: PMC Review starts after M7
After the M7, the process of building and testing Release Candidates begins (sometimes called "the end game"). At first, after M7 but before RC1, in addition to the normal component team review, at least 1 PMC member must also review and vote +1 after reviewing the bug for appropriateness (weighing benefits and risks).
We expect Release Candidates to truly be candidates for release (i.e. well performing, high quality, product ready code). After the first RC is produced, other RCs will be produced, as needed, every week.
After M7 is produced, the time for general functional improvements is long past. The following describes the types of bugs that would be appropriate:
- A regression
- A P1 or P2 bug, one that is 'blocking' or 'critical', and some cases of 'major' severities.
- Documentation and PII files are exceptions to the normal PMC required review, since there is little chance of that breaking anything, though it is still expected to be complete by M6, and remaining work to be only documentation fixes (that is, no refactoring of plugins, build changes, etc, without PMC review and approval).
- In addition to a bug meeting the above priority/severity conditions, there should be a simple, safe, well understood fix that is well isolated from effecting other components, that doesn't affect API or adopters, that has been well reviewed and well tested.
- As each Release Candidate passes, the criteria for weighing the benefit-to-risk ratio criteria gets higher and higher, and as such requires a larger number of PMC members to review.
After RC1, besides the normal component team review, at least 1 PMC members must also review and vote +1 after reviewing the bug for appropriateness and risk.
After RC2, besides the normal component team review, at least 2 PMC members must also review and vote +1 after reviewing the bug for appropriateness and risk.
After RC3, besides the normal component team review, at least 3 PMC members must also review and vote +1 after reviewing the bug for appropriateness and risk.
After RC4 is produced, we'll prepare and test the zip's, update site, web pages, etc.
- 219160 Need tag library support for Apache MyFaces Trinidad
- 224998 UI in new tag registry and component tree views needs finalizing.
- 225000 Meta-data driven mapping of tags/attributes to components/properties
- 225001 Performance caching of tag registry and component tree data
- 225860 JSF page templates
- 194562 Ability to set a default JPA Platform (adopter request)
- 199000 JPA facet does not ask runtime for libraries (adopter request)
- 216450 New Entity Wizard (adopter request)
- 220226 EclipseLink Platform support (adopter request)
- 188949 Need validation error that referenced class is not an entity