Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "WTP 2008-05-29"

(Bug Lists to Ramp Down)
(Bug Lists to Ramp Down)
 
(12 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
== WTP Development Status Meeting 2008-05-08==  
+
== WTP Development Status Meeting 2008-05-29==  
  
 
=== Attendees ===
 
=== Attendees ===
Line 8: Line 8:
 
{| border="1"
 
{| border="1"
 
|+ Project Leads
 
|+ Project Leads
|width="80%"|Konstantin ||  
+
|width="80%"|Konstantin || Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
|Tim ||  
 
|Tim ||  
 
|-
 
|-
|Nitin ||  
+
|Nitin || Y
 
|-
 
|-
|Kathy ||  
+
|Kathy || Y
 
|-
 
|-
|Chuck ||  
+
|Chuck || Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
|Naci ||  
 
|Naci ||  
 
|-
 
|-
|Raghu ||  
+
|Raghu || Y
 
|-
 
|-
|Neil ||  
+
|Neil || Y
 
|-
 
|-
|David ||  
+
|David || Y
 
|-
 
|-
|Helen ||  
+
|Helen || Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
|Philippe ||  
 
|Philippe ||  
Line 33: Line 33:
 
{| border="1"
 
{| border="1"
 
|+ Committers
 
|+ Committers
|width="80%"|Bob ||  
+
|width="80%"|Bob || Y
 
|-
 
|-
|Carl ||  
+
|Carl || Y
 
|-
 
|-
|Dave ||  
+
|Dave || Y
 
|-
 
|-
|Phil ||  
+
|Phil || Y
 
|-
 
|-
|Kaloyan||
+
|Kaloyan||Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
|Larry||  
 
|Larry||  
 
|-
 
|-
|Amy||  
+
|Amy|| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
|Kate||  
 
|Kate||  
Line 53: Line 53:
 
|Brad||  
 
|Brad||  
 
|-
 
|-
|Valentin||  
+
|Valentin|| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
|Gary||  
 
|Gary||  
Line 60: Line 60:
 
{| border="1"
 
{| border="1"
 
|+ Friends
 
|+ Friends
|width="80%"|Nick ||  
+
|width="80%"|Nick || Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
|Gilbert ||  
 
|Gilbert ||  
Line 68: Line 68:
  
 
=== Announcements And Reports ===
 
=== Announcements And Reports ===
 +
Kaloyan: The [[WTP UX Whiteboard]] is ready to collect your great User Experience ideas.
  
 
===Focus on Requirements Planning (David today ... and Raghu)===
 
===Focus on Requirements Planning (David today ... and Raghu)===
Line 82: Line 83:
  
 
*Minutes:
 
*Minutes:
: Raghu: Team still need to move from committed to deferred/completed state, common still have some outstanding
+
: Raghu: start talking about planning in the next mtg
: Konstantin: Common will move
+
  
 
== Post WTP 2.0.2 ==
 
== Post WTP 2.0.2 ==
Line 91: Line 91:
 
*[https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=230256 230256] [hotbug_request] jst.jee JEEDeployableFactory refuses to load ejb3 module
 
*[https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=230256 230256] [hotbug_request] jst.jee JEEDeployableFactory refuses to load ejb3 module
 
*Minutes:
 
*Minutes:
: Carl: 230256 - need to come to a decision on that one
+
:Carl: 230256 accepted as a hotbug, working towards getting the patch
: David: get to it in the next week? Tentitively note to prepare patch for the other ones, this will be our 3rd patch
+
:Rob Striker to help with this, Jboss team for Rob
: Konstantin: when do we make a 203?
+
: David: pls make request on wtp-dev or bugzilla.  Currently there is 1 request from the JBoss group in the bugs.  We can assess for a month after we ship 3.0.  but team will need to request for it.
+
  
 
== WTP 3.0 End-Game ==
 
== WTP 3.0 End-Game ==
Line 149: Line 147:
  
 
=== Issues ===
 
=== Issues ===
:The help has a file called "Limitations and Known Issues" - this functions as a type of readme so that users can easily search for problems that have known workarounds. I wouldn't mind taking 2 minutes to discuss:
+
:The help has a file called "Limitations and Known Issues" - this functions as a type of readme so that users can easily search for problems that have known workarounds.  
:a) whether or not we want to keep this in the help or move it to a wiki where we can update it as workarounds are found
+
This will be kept in the help, team leads pls review current content and add anything extra
:b) or if we keep it in the help, to remind everyone that they need to review the current content and add anything they can think of.
+
: Kate has opened a bug [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=233531 233531], please use to add updates using comments
 
+
*Minutes:
+
: Keep with using help doc, not on wiki
+
: Kate: opened a bug [https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=233531 233531], please use to add updates using comments
+
: Kate: prefer everything under this 1 bug
+
 
: David: RC4 is the last time to update changes if required
 
: David: RC4 is the last time to update changes if required
  
Line 174: Line 167:
  
 
*Minutes:
 
*Minutes:
:==05/29 Status==
+
:05/29 Critical & Blockers
  
:==05/22 Status==
+
:234374: Chuck: a tweek of the real fix, will test it more, it would not affect anyone
:201318: already talked about it for 202
+
:228366: Nitin: nothing ready to go, will not make the 3.0 release, pushed to 301
:231453: not for RC2
+
:231205 & 231348: Chuck: will need to take a look
:228366: been in many releases, not a regression, looking at it very hard, might wait till 301, opened a bug to platform but that's only a part of the problem, change it to RC3 and see if its possible.  Gary: BE is mainframes, LE is windows
+
:231453: David: planning to fix for 3.0, good clean solution, may propose for RC3 still
: David:frequency of occurence if its only on mainframes
+
:233196: Tim/Larry Issac
:233196: Lary: suspect shouldn't be blocking
+
:233763: duplicate for 231205
:231257: Phil: just got it today, will not be fixed for this release, main bug on platform is targeted to 3.5, leave to major, retargted to match the platform bug
+
:233801: not for 3.0
: 231348: Chuck: haven't seen it, but haven't been able to reproduce it
+
:234341: Nitin: RC4
 +
:234404: Models, been there since 2.0.x, will not be targeted
  
 
=== Thursday to Tuesday HEAD Builds? ===  
 
=== Thursday to Tuesday HEAD Builds? ===  
Line 229: Line 223:
 
::http://www.eclipse.org/legal/guidetolegaldoc.php#Abouts <br />
 
::http://www.eclipse.org/legal/guidetolegaldoc.php#Abouts <br />
 
::It goes into detail about the locations, needs for plugins and features, and also mentions that third party content requires a seperate license file.
 
::It goes into detail about the locations, needs for plugins and features, and also mentions that third party content requires a seperate license file.
 +
 +
*Minutes
 +
:David: about.html files, maybe asking for some help in the about.html files
  
 
== Performance Focus (Kaloyan) ==
 
== Performance Focus (Kaloyan) ==
  
 
No progress for the last two weeks. Still fighting with the Results Graph Generator.
 
No progress for the last two weeks. Still fighting with the Results Graph Generator.
 +
*Minutes
 +
:Kaloyan: a collegue is getting familiar with this, no progress so far
  
 
== API Tools/Scans (Kaloyan) ==
 
== API Tools/Scans (Kaloyan) ==
Line 239: Line 238:
  
 
== Other business ==
 
== Other business ==
 +
:David: Did you go to the Usability walkthrough yesterday?
 +
:Kaloyan: will send a note to the PMC and Konstantin.
 +
:Konstantin: Definitely can schedule another hour
  
 
Had good discussion of what the JavaDoc issues are, with promises to follow up on wtp-releng.
 
Had good discussion of what the JavaDoc issues are, with promises to follow up on wtp-releng.

Latest revision as of 11:39, 2 June 2008

WTP Development Status Meeting 2008-05-29

Attendees

Project Leads
Konstantin Y
Tim
Nitin Y
Kathy Y
Chuck Y
Naci
Raghu Y
Neil Y
David Y
Helen Y
Philippe
Committers
Bob Y
Carl Y
Dave Y
Phil Y
Kaloyan Y
Larry
Amy Y
Kate
Angel
Brad
Valentin Y
Gary
Friends
Nick Y
Gilbert

Announcements And Reports

Kaloyan: The WTP UX Whiteboard is ready to collect your great User Experience ideas.

Focus on Requirements Planning (David today ... and Raghu)

Nearly Done. Two requests of Project Leads:

  • Let's triage remaining list of 'plan' keyword items that are not resolved, and not marked future or not targeted. (i.e. it doesn't make sense to have marked 'plan' but untargeted ... or, what does it mean?)
  • Project leads, please take 20 minutes to polish Web_Tools_Platform_Release_3.0_Requirements
    • If anything is in "proposed", move to committed or deferred
    • Make sure any "completed" item is categorized as one of the themes, or "other" (just to show it does fit any of the standard ones).
  • Minutes:
Raghu: start talking about planning in the next mtg

Post WTP 2.0.2

  • Some issues are still being investigated.
  • 201318 [hotbug] EAR Libraries container fails to initialize for 2...
  • 230256 [hotbug_request] jst.jee JEEDeployableFactory refuses to load ejb3 module
  • Minutes:
Carl: 230256 accepted as a hotbug, working towards getting the patch
Rob Striker to help with this, Jboss team for Rob

WTP 3.0 End-Game

We are now in phase where stability is most important and fix only the worst, safest bugs.

One PMC review required before releasing to build. (All PMC should review, and any can veto, even once approved, though would be rare, and with good reason).

User/SDK docs can be updated up to RC1 without PMC approval, beyond which PMC approval will be needed

Schedule

RC3 06/03
Code done by Wed. 5/28
Smoke tests on Thur. 5/29
"Unofficial Declare" on Friday 5/30
Make official on Tuesday 06/03

Upcoming Schedule

RC4 06/10
Code done by Wed. 6/4
Smoke tests on Thur. 6/5
"Unofficial Declare" on Friday 6/5
Make official on Tuesday 6/10
Ganymede 06/17
Code done by Wed. 6/11
Smoke tests on Thur. 6/12
"Unofficial Declare" on Friday 6/14
Make official on Tuesday 6/17

Builds

  • Mintues:

Testing

  • Minutes:
Teams need to update the test plans
Adding JRE column into the table, teams pls update

Issues

The help has a file called "Limitations and Known Issues" - this functions as a type of readme so that users can easily search for problems that have known workarounds.

This will be kept in the help, team leads pls review current content and add anything extra

Kate has opened a bug 233531, please use to add updates using comments
David: RC4 is the last time to update changes if required

Bug Lists to Ramp Down

All Blockers and Criticals (~8) (~(11)
All Hot Bugs and Requests (~0) (~0)
All Remaining Targeted Enhancements (~7) ~(3)
Remaining Targeted Bugs (~190) (~83)
Note: a 3.0.1 target was added to bugzilla (not M301 301), to better re-target some of the bugs.
Resolved but Unverified Blockers/Criticals By Assignee (~41) (~40)
  • Minutes:
05/29 Critical & Blockers
234374: Chuck: a tweek of the real fix, will test it more, it would not affect anyone
228366: Nitin: nothing ready to go, will not make the 3.0 release, pushed to 301
231205 & 231348: Chuck: will need to take a look
231453: David: planning to fix for 3.0, good clean solution, may propose for RC3 still
233196: Tim/Larry Issac
233763: duplicate for 231205
233801: not for 3.0
234341: Nitin: RC4
234404: Models, been there since 2.0.x, will not be targeted

Thursday to Tuesday HEAD Builds?

See Proposal to keep HEAD very clean, so it's essentially an I-build without 'release'.

Do they need to be automated? 6 hours? 8 hours? Or, is "on demand" easy enough?

Release Review Requirements

  • Need zip file of about.html files by 5/15
  • Release Review will be June 4th, 11 AM Eastern Time. All (sub) project leads are encouraged to phone in.

IP Log

  • In general, Project leads should review our IP Log for completeness and correctness.
  • non-Committer Contributions
* bugzillas with contributed patches should be marked with contributed keyword
* There are some WTP IP Tools to help explore potential contributions.

Copyrights

  • Make sure copyrights are up-to-date and according to Eclipse Foundation form:
See Default Eclipse Foundation Copyright and License Notice

Check for "license files"

  • Check 'about.html' files exists
  • are valid
  • have correct "layout" in directories
  • References:
In the general eclipse legal section
http://www.eclipse.org/legal/
Is one page that speaks to the about files directly
http://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl/about.php
In particular, note there are two that refer to literal HTML only versions, to use as your starting point.
http://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl/about.html
http://www.eclipse.org/legal/epl/longabout.html
Also, please read
http://www.eclipse.org/legal/guidetolegaldoc.php#Abouts
It goes into detail about the locations, needs for plugins and features, and also mentions that third party content requires a seperate license file.
  • Minutes
David: about.html files, maybe asking for some help in the about.html files

Performance Focus (Kaloyan)

No progress for the last two weeks. Still fighting with the Results Graph Generator.

  • Minutes
Kaloyan: a collegue is getting familiar with this, no progress so far

API Tools/Scans (Kaloyan)

Can we run reports? Though they are hard to spot errors since out of date ... perhaps we can "diff" reports?

Other business

David: Did you go to the Usability walkthrough yesterday?
Kaloyan: will send a note to the PMC and Konstantin.
Konstantin: Definitely can schedule another hour

Had good discussion of what the JavaDoc issues are, with promises to follow up on wtp-releng. David: 15 min videos to cover the project, suggest to a couple made for WTP bybproject leads

Demo:
Raghu/JSF: yes 10 mins
Neil/JPA: yes 15 mins
Kaloyan/EJB/JEE5capabilities: yes, a few mins, not a full movie
Nitin: JSDT, will take a look and see what's new
Phil/Brad: yes
Kathy: a few things, enhancements or new functionalities?
David: Major enhancements are find also
Chuck: yah some things that we can show, a few wizard that Kaloyan has contributed

Teams Status and Focus for Coming Week

Source Editing

  • Ongoing triaging of incoming bug reports
  • Working on updating bug backlogs
  • Triaging remaining 3.0 requirements and targeted bugs

Server Tools

Web Services/WSDL

  1. Ongoing triage of incoming and existing bugs.
  2. Fixing and verifying bugs.

Java EE

Dali JPT

  • JPT 2.0
    • Working on:
      • EclipseLink support
      • Bugs for M7
      • Performance

JSF

  • Feature exceptions
  • Bug Fixes

releng

  • We will be changing the way we generate source features/plugins
See bug 132094 for details, implications, and links to more info.

References

  • Branching Strategy
In general, the minimum is if you branch a plug-in to branch all the plug-ins in the corresponding map file. It is fine to branch everything if you choose as well. We may need to reorganize map files slightly and we can investigate that on a case by case basis. This is intended to be a living document and open to evolutions and improvements.
  • Instructions for tagging existing and new WTP wiki pages can be found at WTP's Category page; remember, we can create subcategories as well
  • This Week's Smoke Test Results
WTP Smoke Test Results R30
Information about process for milestone bugzilla line item planning has been added to the WTP Bugs, Workflow, and Conventions document.
PMC Candidate Review Request Checklist - See the updated PMC Review document with attention to the "How To Prepare a PMC Defect Candidate" section
Adopter Migration Information for WTP 2.0 - Please add any details for your component.
  • Website
Documentation on Setting up your system for Web Tools Web site development and Using Web Tools Phoenix PHP templates is on the wiki at Web Tools Web Site Development.
  • Bug Day
Monitor and participate in Bug Day if you would like.
Mark any applicable bugs with keyword "bugday", but only if you'll have a representative on hand to respond through Bugzilla or in IRC
Current WTP Bug Day bugs (~53)


Bug Backlogs

All Untriaged WTP Bugs (Graph)
All Untriaged WTP Bugs (~244)
All WTP Verified, Not Closed Bugs (Graph)
All WTP Verified, Not Closed Bugs (~398)
All WTP Resolved, Unverified Bugs (Graph)
All WTP Resolved, Unverified Bugs (~2098)
All WTP Defect Backlog (Graph)
All WTP Defect Backlog (~3131)
All WTP Future Bugs (~422)
All Open WTP Bugs with Patches Attached (Graph)
All Open WTP Bugs with Patches Attached (~205)
All API Requests (~9)


Back to WTP Meeting Archives

Focus on Backlog and Quality metrics (Neil)

Current Focus Item
  • Options are
  • Target bug for a release or "future"
  • Mark as Invalid or Wont Fix
Upcoming Focus Item
Past Focus Items
  • Invalid - Enhancement does not fit with the scope of the project or is already implemented.
  • helpwanted keyword - This is a valid request, but due to committer resources and other priorities, outside help will be needed to make this happen.
  • Future - I would use this in conjunction with the helpwanted keyword. I use this for legitimate requests that are important but will not make any planned release, but likely will make a future release.
  • Before July 1st, 2007 - 21
Where did they all go?
  • Minutes:
Neil: will focus on untargeted enhancements again after Release of 3.0