- 1 WTP Development Status Meeting 2008-04-24
- 2 Teams Status and Focus for Coming Week
- 3 References
- 4 Bug Backlogs
- 5 Focus on Backlog and Quality metrics (Neil)
WTP Development Status Meeting 2008-04-24
Announcements And Reports
Focus on Requirements Planning (Raghu)
- Review and Update the WTP 3.0 Plan by April 7
- Projects with no committed items: none
- Please update status page
- Please review untriaged enhancement requests
- Reminder: Any exceptions of UI changes or new feature work needs to be listed on the ramp down page
- Raghu: Status page up to date, update in requirements page as well some proposed column
- Reminder: Teams with requirements, should be listed, questions pls ask David
Post WTP 2.0.2
- Done for now, but .... some issues are still being investigated.
- 201318 EAR Libraries container fails to initialize for 2...
222531 Regression (?) between wtp 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 in J2EEFlexPro..
- Carl: 222531 -> Rob noted it's not 'blocking'/'major' afterall, its now a minor problem
- David: will take a look and assess
- 201318, ears in 201 has a forward compatibility problem
- Carl: Will work on this after M7 is done
WTP 3.0 M7
- our +2 date: Tuesday, May 6 2008
- Final Code released by April 23rd
- Plan 04/07 - 04/11
- Development 04/14 - 04/25
- Test 04/28 - 05/02
- RC1 05/20
- RC2 05/27
- RC3 06/02
- RC3 06/09
- Gaynamede 06/16
- Update: User/SDK docs can be updated up to RC1 without PMC approval, beyond which PMC approval will be needed
- WTP 3.0 Ramp down Plan for Ganymede
- pls update with your findings Build Breakages Board
- 0 Junit failures
- 1 Server core test bundle compile error, fix has been released
- Bug Lists
- 3.0 Invalid Targeted Bugs (~0)
- 3.0 M7 Targeted Bugzilla Enhancements (~3)
- All Remaining 3.0 Targeted Enhancements (~56)
- 3.0 M7 Remaining Targeted Bugs (~104)
- 3.0 M7 Hot Bug Requests (~0)
- 3.0 M7 Hot Bugs (~0)
- 3.0 M7 Blockers/Criticals (~3)
- 3.0 M7 JST, WST, JSF Bugs Fixed (~143)
- 3.0 M7 JPT Dali Bugs Fixed (~53)
- 3.0 Untargeted Blockers/Criticals (~3)
- 3.0 Resolved, Unverified Blockers/Criticals (~24) By Assignee
- Junit issues
- Chuck/Carl: will decide to pull part of the suite, not a real random failure currently
- M7 Criticals/Blockers
- 227501Valentin: will touch base with Kathy on the blocking bug
- 225022: Neil, depending on the other bug on the list 225802
- 225802: Chuck: always have unloaded in this situation, will definitely need to look at it, it could be due to timing, but that behaviour hasn't changed
- Neil: we can chat offline on this, set up mtg offline on this
- Neil:M7 blocking, fairly standard usecase, consistent deadlock, will need to look into it more to understand the frequency of it occuring
- Untargeted blocker/criticals
- Tim: Cannot run server when it's on a Arabic project name space.
- David: might have a remote machine
- More information is needed right now, possible it's a user error
- Tim: API breakage
- Helen: will shoot over a email to Konstantin
Release Review Requirements
- In general, Project leads should review our IP Log for completeness and correctness. Some big items/omissions are being tracked in bug 228729.
- non-Committer Contributions
- * bugzillas with contributed patches should be marked with contributed keyword
- * Static page This is a snapshot in time, and there will be "final" one for release review.
- * Dynamic page From which the static page is created.
- * Query Tool page To see if there are any bugs that should be marked as 'contributed'
- Make sure copyrights are up-to-date and according to Eclipse Foundation form:
Check for "license files"
- Check 'about.html' files exists
- are valid
- have correct "layout" in directories
- In the general eclipse legal section
- In the general eclipse legal section
- Is one page that speaks to the about files directly
- Also, please read
- It goes into detail about the locations, needs for plugins and features, and also mentions that third party content requires a seperate license file.
- Also, please read
Performance Focus (Kaloyan)
Some (possible) progress on debugging the problem with running the tests. Seems related to org.eclipse.test.performance
We'll begin having weekly performance section to review tests and test results.
Update 2008-03-06: We have identified that changes made in bug 201469 could be a potential reason for the Derby error:
ERROR 42Y07: Schema 'GUEST' does not exist
The changes in the bug are about improving performance, but they also affect the org.eclipse.test.internal.performance.db.DB class and if we compare between revisions 1.68 and 1.70 we could see that the changes deal with some user and password settings. Now it is not clear what should be changed in the WTP perf tests setup to comply with this change. May be setting some user and password for Derby?!
Update 2008-03-13: We have found an interesting article about Derby that seems to explain the problem. There it is explained that if the database is accessed without authentication, then the default database schema is APP. This is our case before the changes of bug 201469. But, if authentication is used, then the default schema becomes the username. After the changes of bug 201469 all access to the DB is done through the default user Guest. The DB driver tries to find the tables in schema GUEST instead of in schema APP. This explains the Error message above.
We see the best solution is to rename the schema in our Derby database from APP to GUEST for builds after bug 201469. We are now investigating how to do this.
- David: Generate db with platform test plugin, then things are okay, asked for the earlier build to be restored in the update site. Making progress on this, hopefully will have more report in 2 weeks
It seems that we have new problems with M5. It takes much longer (~33 hours compared to ~11 hours) and the wtpperflog is huge (120 MB) and full with dumps and errors. I need some time for further investigation of the problem.
Update 2008-04-10: The reason for the plugin start failure was that the xsd-runtime binary was not extracted by the procedure. This is now fixed. Other issues are faced. In M5 we have OutOfMemoryError, heap memory is now increased and tests are running again. In M6 we have StackOverflowError - probably a bug in the Platform.
Update 2008-04-17: I have increased the heap memory to 512 MB and now we have successful run for M5. However, there are still some test failures that need to be investigated. Need help here! For M6 the StackOverflowError is still valid. I have filed bug 227603 to the Platform.
API Tools/Scans (Kaloyan)
Current ones will be ending soon. Kaloyan volunteered to explore the new Platform API tools, to make recommendations to WTP or build process.
Update 2008-03-06: I have started exploring and evaluating the Api Tooling project. It is planned to become part of Eclipse 3.4 by the end of M6. Now it is available only by checking it out from CVS.
Project overview: http://wiki.eclipse.org/PDE_UI_Incubator_ApiTools
The Api Tooling supports profiles. I need to check if this can correspond to our adopter usage reports.
There are also Batch mode tools: Binary Compatibility Reporting and API Usage Reporting, but I am still in progress to find out how to run them.
Update 2008-03-13: No progress this week. I will try to catch API Tooling developers at EclipeCon next week. They also have a Long Talk on the event.
Update 2008-03-27: I had the chance to meet Olivier Thomann. He explained me a lot about the API Tooling and gave useful advices. It seems that we would not be able to use API Tooling in the way we use our adopter API scannages. The concept of API Tooling is different. Instead we can compare for binary and source breakages between WTP releases, e.g. between 2.0.1 and 2.0.2.
Adopting API tooling requires some efforts. It is almost sure that enabling a plugin with API tooling nature will introduce lots of warnings and errors. Rules and filters must be established within the code to prevent this warnings to appear.
Teams Status and Focus for Coming Week
- Ongoing triaging of incoming bug reports
- Working on updating bug backlogs
- Triaging remaining 3.0 requirements and targeted bugs
- Ongoing triage of incoming and existing bugs.
- Fixing bugs.
- Planning for M7.
- JPT 2.0
- Working on:
- EclipseLink support
- Bugs for M7
- Working on:
- Feature exceptions
- Bug Fixes
- We will be changing the way we generate source features/plugins
- See bug 132094 for details, implications, and links to more info.
- We need to change how we generate our javadoc in the build -- project by project, or component by component.
- Tim has volunteered to do something for the server project, and recommend to others.
- Work on features is coming up: bug 221449
- Branching Strategy
- Please review and comment on the WTP How to: Branching Policy and Practices guide.
- In general, the minimum is if you branch a plug-in to branch all the plug-ins in the corresponding map file. It is fine to branch everything if you choose as well. We may need to reorganize map files slightly and we can investigate that on a case by case basis. This is intended to be a living document and open to evolutions and improvements.
- Instructions for tagging existing and new WTP wiki pages can be found at WTP's Category page; remember, we can create subcategories as well
- This Week's Smoke Test Results
- Build Declaration Process Refined - See WTP Build Process and Procedures
- Information about process for milestone bugzilla line item planning has been added to the WTP Bugs, Workflow, and Conventions document.
- PMC Candidate Review Request Checklist - See the updated PMC Review document with attention to the "How To Prepare a PMC Defect Candidate" section
- Adopter Migration Information for WTP 2.0 - Please add any details for your component.
- Documentation on Setting up your system for Web Tools Web site development and Using Web Tools Phoenix PHP templates is on the wiki at Web Tools Web Site Development.
- Bug Day
- All Untriaged WTP Bugs (Graph)
- All Untriaged WTP Bugs (~227)
- All WTP Verified, Not Closed Bugs (Graph)
- All WTP Verified, Not Closed Bugs (~159)
- All WTP Resolved, Unverified Bugs (Graph)
- All WTP Resolved, Unverified Bugs (~1532)
- All WTP Defect Backlog (Graph)
- All WTP Defect Backlog (~3168)
- All WTP Future Bugs (~166)
- All Open WTP Bugs with Patches Attached (Graph)
- All Open WTP Bugs with Patches Attached (~229)
- All API Requests (~9)
Focus on Backlog and Quality metrics (Neil)
Current Focus Item
- Untargeted bugs with patches attached opened before January 1st, 2008 (Last week - 24; Currently ~ 23)
- Options are
- Target bug for a release or "future"
- Mark as Invalid or Wont Fix
Upcoming Focus Item
Past Focus Items
- Untargeted Enhancements opened before January 1st, 2007 (Last week - 62; Currently ~ 58)
- Before July 1st, 2007 - 109
- Options are
- Invalid - Enhancement does not fit with the scope of the project or is already implemented.
- helpwanted keyword - This is a valid request, but due to committer resources and other priorities, outside help will be needed to make this happen.
- Future - I would use this in conjunction with the helpwanted keyword. I use this for legitimate requests that are important but will not make any planned release, but likely will make a future release.
- Untargeted severity "Major" and higher bugs opened before January 1st, 2007 (Last week - 2; Currently ~ 0)
- Before July 1st, 2007 - 21
- Neil: will focus on untargeted enhancements again after M7