This is basic content only. Please convert to the Template file for adding to the UI Best Practices and fill in more complete information.
When do you use forms inside a view/editor?
- Depends on audience and problem space
- Slickness of look
- Type, amount, and complexity of content, e.g., complex content is good in form content
Is it appropriate to use forms in a view that is not
- Don't want to over use though since everything ends up looking the same
- Distinguish primary and secondary views by how you render elements in form
- Use forms API to varying degrees for secondary views
- Can also use GEF
- Overuse of model dialogs - eg. launch configuration
- Rethink this one and move it to forms
- Move away from modal dialogs
- Other dialogs that could be (have been) non-modal: Run, Preference -- but have to stay that way to not cause breakages
- Example of something complex that you can see or not see: XRay (by Chris Laffra), floating -- go to eclipsefaq.org/chris/xray