UI Best Practices Working Group Meeting - 2006-09-13
Attending: Bob Fraser, Troy Beecroft, Boris Bokowski, Wassim Melhem, Neil Hauge
- Reviewed action items
- Reviewed drill down on action items namely:
- UI post-mortems
- UI "show and tells"
- End of release UI review
Q: How do we encourage active participation of the projects in these activites.
A: Some of these activites should be participation criteria for inclusion in the 2007 combined release. UI Post-mortems should be a 'must do', show and tells should be 'suggested' and End of release UI reviews should be a 'should do'.
UI Show and tells don't need to be new work just active work.
Cross project polish items are really important. The UI working group can make a list of polish items for the projects or act as a clearing house.
- Two UI areas were discussed that deserve special attention:
- Forms based UI - varies widely across different projects
- Property editors - PEs are getting more complex, JSR-175 annotation editors for example.
- Action item
- Ratify the list of UI practices and activities (eg. Post-mortems, show and tells, etc.) that we will propose to the planning council on October 11. Our goal is to get their buy-in and have them help drive this as requirements through the various projects that make up the simultaneous release.