The "Compare with" dialog
The goal of this project is to provide a more flexible and user-friendly way to compare files inside the Eclipse environment. Currently, the Eclipse's "Compare With" feature has a few problems:
- There is no easy way to compare files located outside the workspace with ones located inside (see bug 73923 for details).
- To compare two or three files in the current workspace the user has to select them (using a ctrl-click) and choose the "Compare With"->"Each Other" option from a pop-up menu.
Both these issues can be solved by providing an UI element (possibly a dialog or a view) to which user can add two or three files and than invoke a compare editor from it.
This project is part of 2008 Google Summer of Code.
- Student: Aleksandra Woźniak
- Mentor: Tomasz Zarna
- adding files for comparison by drag'n'dropping them from the Package Manager
- adding files for comparison by "Open Resource"/"Open Type" dialogs
- adding files for comparison by "Open file" dialog (for choosing files located outside the current workspace)
- invoking folder compares from the dialog
Nice to have
- invoking a compare editor by drag'n'dropping one file to another in the Package Manager
Feel free to add your comments and ideas.