Talk:EclipseLink/UserGuide/JPA/Advanced JPA Development/Data Partitioning
- Doc should (**for everything) be in the context of JPA an JPA config (annotations) not the native API (unless no annotations exist).
- annotations for partitioning are in the annotations package
- the "Key API" box should list the JPA API first, then the native API below, ideally in a separate box, to separated
- there is no ucp support in 2.2, remove that section
- should have a section on Oracle RAC and Clustered Databases though, should mention that replication is not required, and a data-source is required per node
- not sure what the configuration files is suppose to be documenting, we must either document xml for everything, or only doc annotations
- the doc as it is makes no sense
- ideally we would doc both, or at least mention the annotation and xml elements/attributes, would be nice to have an example of both annotations and xml
- named connection pools should be documented separately and referenced from here
- why is deprecated API listed here??? this should be only in the release notes
- example should say what it is an example of, what is it doing, and include a persistence.xml defining the pools used in the example
- API/example for how to write a custom partitioning policy should be given
- James.sutherland.oracle.com 16:48, 16 February 2011 (UTC)
Questions about this documentation (by Ben Gelernter, tech writer):
The partitioning policies in the spec at http://wiki.eclipse.org/EclipseLink/DesignDocs/328937 don't seem to match the partitioning policies in the Javadoc (from the zip download) at zip/eclipselink-2.2.0.v20110114-r8831/eclipselink/eclipselink-javadocs/org/eclipse/persistence/descriptors/partitioning/package-summary.html.
This draft (1/26/11) is based on the Javadoc. Is that correct? That is, this doc should follow the Javadoc, not the spec on this matter, correct?
The differences are:
- CustomPartitioningPolicy and PinnedPartitioningPolicy are in the Javadoc, but not in the spec.
- There are alternative names given for the policies in the spec, under the Functionality section. Shall I assume the names in the Javadoc are correct and the alternative names in the spec should be ignored? Or are they referring to some other kind of entity?
The following table sums up the differences:
|Spec under "Functionality"||Spec under "API"||Javadoc|
|not listed||not listed||CustomPartitioningPolicy|
|not listed||FieldPartitioningPolicy||same as API in spec|
|HashPartitionPolicy||HashPartitioningPolicy||same as API in spec|
|not listed||PartitioningPolicy||same as API in spec|
|RoundRobinPolicy||RoundRobinPartitioningPolicy||same as API in spec|
|RangePartitionPolicy||RangePartitioningPolicy||same as API in spec|
|ReplicationPolicy||ReplicationPartitioningPolicy||same as API in spec|
|UnionPartitionPolicy||UnionPartitioningPolicy||same as API in spec|
|ValuePartitionPolicy||ValuePartitioningPolicy||same as API in spec|
As of build v20100819-r8063, I still don't see any of these APIs in the online Javadoc at http://www.eclipse.org/eclipselink/api/2.2/index.html. Is there a reason for that? When will it appear?
The spec gives an example of an orm.xml file but only has a bullet item for persistence.xml. Should there be an example for persistence.xml, too?
Under "Requirements," the spec lists failover, UCP and RAC as "Phase 2." So, should the "Data Affinity, Oracle RAC, and JDBC UCP Support" section in the current draft be removed?
And nothing needs to be said about failover for this release, correct?
I'm not sure what specifically to say about the listed connection pool properties in this context. Can anyone offer some choice phrases for an introduction?