TM Future Planning
Collect input for the planning process for Target Management 2.0.x service releases, and next year's major release (Eclipse Ganymede train). Goals of this page are
- Collect ideas and Requirements for Target Management Ganymede and beyond
- Find out who needs what features
- Find out who would be willing to work on what
This is a collective Wiki, so everyone in the community is welcome to contribute to the discussion by simply modifying the page. Our Themes and Priorities need to be aligned with the global and DSDP Requirements. As soon as a feature description is sufficiently clear and there is some group supporting a feature, Bugzilla entries should be used for tracking requests.
An initial plan was discussed in the Committer Phone Meeting on 22-May-2007.
Target Management Ganymede will be released with Eclipse Ganymede - presumably end of June 2008.
TM 2.0.1 Planning
- TM 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 to be aligned with Europa Simultaneous Release Service Releases in autumn and spring 08 respectively
- TM 2.0.1 might be released 2 or 3 weeks before Europa SR1
- No major feature additions; focus on unit tests, ISV Docs
- Probably adding RSE Terminal integration
- Work on unittests, isv docs over the summer can also be done in HEAD, forking off the mainline in autumn
- if we have any large things for 3.0 and want to start before 2.0.1 might do that in a branch; but having the branch this or that way is not a big deal
TM Ganymede Planning (tentatively TM 3.0)
- Should it be TM 2.1 or TM 3.0?
- We'd probably need 3.0 for further UI/Non-UI, API Polish, finalizing terminal API
- Doing 2.1 might be possible but harder than going for 3.0 right away; Finishing the UI/Non-UI refactoring is essential to complete for the next release
- We think we'll better be going for 3.0 since not entirely happy with APIs yet. Though we'd strive to keep API changes small.
- Integrate in next release - strong should:
- WebDAV, Team Sync (minimal data transfer), Wicked Shell, JArchive (through RSE extension point)
- Add in next release:
- User actions (probably replace by Command framework), Launch Actions, VLM Lab Manager, IPxAct data, Connection Groups
- Add things existing with IBM already: Remote Java Debug, Remote Jar Export (need legal review); export to multiple targets;
- Contribute IBM "External Tools" implementation (very interesting!) - potentially consolidate into single User Actions framework
- Potentially move to Platform + 0 level --> move CDT Launcher to CDT Project
Other Ideas for features to be added
- (Interest: WR) Integrate improved Launching as defined by the Launching group
- Currently being discussed with Robert Norton on the dsd-tm-dev list
- ILaunchAction may also be used for board lab hooks
- Add hooks for Lab Managers to integrate with RSE (checkin / check out target boards, discover target boards)
- Implementation might be facilitated by ILaunchAction hooks
- (Interest: WR) Define a standard for remote system properties as defined by the Spirit group (146090)
- Re-think RSE SystemMessages: Do we need XML when we have Eclipse NLS / Java MessageFormat?
- E.g. DStore_Service_Percent_Complete_Message -- multiple transformations for substitution
- (Interest: IBM,WR) Improve Shell Pattern Matching on the client
- Allow user-defined patterns (153274)
- Provide an extension point for patterns but not let the user edit them
- Server-side patterns vs. client-side patterns, want to have them consistent
- Server-side file can be modified by the users, located in dstore daemon
- Client-side patterns buried inside the jarfile --> copy it out of JAR into preferences on first start, allow users to modify through Preferences
- (Interest: WR) Add Multicore / Multisystem capabilities to the RSE Tree
- Support target groups as defined by the Connection Groups initiative
- Filters on 1st level of System View (164807)
- View for working with multiple shells concurrently exists
- Right now we have grouping by profiles
- Cluster definitions should be something different (being stored inside a profile)
- Requirements currently unclear; instead of hacking up something wrong, better have no solution
- PTP might come up with requirements
Archive of previeous plans
Planned Items for TM 2.0
See the official TM 2.0 Project Plan for details on target environment and timing.
See bugzilla plan items for latest status of items.