TM Future Planning
Collect input for the planning process for RSE 2.0. Goals of this page are
- Collect ideas and Requirements for RSE 2.0
- Find out who needs what features
- Find out who would be willing to work on what
As soon as a feature description is sufficiently clear and there is some group supporting a feature, Bugzilla entries should be used for tracking requests.
RSE 2.0 will be released with Eclipse 3.3 - presumably end of June 2007. See the Eclipse 3.3 draft plan. Rough timeline:
- Sept. 27, 2006 (RSE 1.0 Release Review) - Requirements Gathering complete
- Oct. 20, 2006 (RSE 1.0 release) - Draft plan with timeline available, 6-week milestones start
- March, 2007 - API Complete / API Freeze
- April, 2007 - Feature Complete / Testing begins
- June, 2007 - 2.0 release with Eclipse 3.3
These items are currently planned to be added soon after the RSE 1.0 release. We are considering an RSE 1.1 service release in december, that would include the items below:
- (Implementor: IBM) Add not-yet-ported features from RSE 7.0
- User Actions
- Compile Commands
- (Implementor: WR) Add a Terminal View with Terminal Emulation (in addition to the current Commands view) (152826)
- (Implementor: Symbian) Add Autodetect as defined by the Autodetect group (140320, 142493)
- (Implementor: IBM) Add encoding support for files that have different encodings than the platform default encodings. Also add encoding support for copy/paste of resources.
Themes and Priorities
Our Themes and Priorities need to be aligned with the global and DSDP Requirements
- (Interest: WR) Adopt Platform Changes - RSE should adopt Eclipse Platform concepts wherever possible. For instance:
- Adopt ICU4J and Capabilities (needed for Europa)
- Use Common Preferences for ssh and Proxy - Collaborate with Platform/Team on (119278)
- Use Common Navigator for the Remote Systems View - Platform/Team Remote Explorer (138583)
- Adoption of new Platform APIs from 3.2 -- these include the Commands framework, field assist, SWT column sort indicators,etc. In 2.0, we should step up to the latest APIs, e.g. support Content Assist for Remote Search / Regular Expression field; use Eclipse IPath wherever possible for file path manipulations
- Clarify Usage / Adoption of EFS
- Use existing Platform Extension Points for popup menus, property pages etc.
- Integrate Content Types / RSE File Types
- (Interest: WR) Optimize APIs - Remove obsolete API. RSE APIs should be made smaller (less API, more internal) in order to make them easier to understand and maintain. Eliminate dead code. Clarify threading model.
- e.g. get rid of dynamicPopupMenuExtensions, popupMenus extension points - use Platform commands, expression language
- e.g. propertyPages extension point - use Platform propertyPages?
- e.g. get rid of systemtype extension point -- use systemType instead
- e.g. get rid of ISubSystem.getProperties() and ISubSystem.setProperties()
- (Interest: WR) Further UI/Non-UI Refactoring - RSE code should be further refactored to split UI from non-UI parts. A Headless Eclipse should be able to perform Launches through RSE-provided services / subsystems.
- Generalize and simplify the handling of "Shell" in RSE
- (Interest: WR) Integrate improved Launching as defined by the Launching group
- (Interest: IBM,WR) Improve Shell Pattern Matching on the client
- Allow user-defined patterns (153274)
- (Interest: WR) Add Multicore / Multisystem capabilities to the RSE Tree
- Support target groups as defined by the Connection Groups initiative
- (Interest: WR) Define a standard for remote system properties as defined by the Spirit group (146090)
- (Interest: Symbian, WR) RSE should be more service-oriented (150498)
- Re-think RSE SystemMessages: Do we need XML when we have Eclipse NLS / Java MessageFormat?
- E.g. DStore_Service_Percent_Complete_Message -- multiple transformations for substitution
- Improve the default Persistence Provider
- Associate connections, profiles, filter pools etc. with projects
- Store as normal XML files in the workspace, get rid of the RemoteSystemsConnections project (just like Launch Configs!)
- Use fewer files for storage (improved performance, easier handling for checkin/checkout of team-shared data) - e.g. collapsing Property files by putting the current "directory" path into the Properties Key
- Extension point / API to add systemTypes dynamically?