Stardust/Knowledge Base/Getting Started/Installation
If you like to build Stardust, please download the source code and build Stardust as described here. Then follow the installation instructions for a local update site.
- 1 Prerequisites
- 2 Installation Alternatives
- 3 Stardust - Eclipse Process Manager Feature Installation
- 4 Eclipse Installation
Before you start the Stardust - Eclipse Process Manager installation you need to download and unpack Eclipse IDE for Java and Report Developers to a location of your choice.
If you need more information on eclipse installation please continue here.
Installation of Stardust on Eclipse Helios is performed by installing the corresponding Stardust Features and their required dependencies. These Eclipse Features include the
- Process Modeller,
- the Rapid Application Development (RAD) environment and the
- Report Designer Extension.
You have several options to add the Stardust - Eclipse Process Manager Features and their dependencies to your Eclipse environment:
- Online Eclipse update site - This is a good choice if you:
- don't know what to choose
- have a reliable, fast internet connection
- only want to install on a single PC / environment
- want to check for updates frequently and intend to update to the latest and greatest version frequently
- Local Eclipse update site - This is a good choice if you:
- have a not so fast and reliable internet connection
- have an internet connection with high latency / response times
- want to install on multiple PCs / environments
- are going to check for updates less frequently or not via the built-in update mechanism
- may not always upgrade to the latest patch release
- Install features as drop-ins - This is a good choice if you:
- know what you are doing
- are sure that you have the right Eclipse version with all required dependencies installed
- are familiar enough with the eclipse plug-in mechanism and know how to install missing dependencies if needed
- rather perform some steps in the file system than walk through the dialogs of the (local) Eclipse update site installation
- want to separate the new features from you Eclipse installation on file system level
- want to automate the installation for multiple environments
Stardust - Eclipse Process Manager Feature Installation
Online Eclipse Update Site
After the installation of Eclipse and the Subclipse plug-ins Stardust can be installed. This section describes how to do this using the online Eclipse update site.
(See introduction for other options).
- Open context menu Help > Install New Software...
- PushAdd button
- Enter Stardust Online Site for the Name and for the Location enter http://download.eclipse.org/stardust/nightly/
- Select the checkbox Stardust - Eclipse Process Manager (see screenshot below)
- Select Next for the follow-up screens and accept the Eclipse License Agreement.
- Select Finish - all Stardust components will be downloaded now. This may take 10-20 minutes depending on your network connection.
- For the milestone builds, you may receive a warning that the software contains unsigned content, which you need to ignore.
- Restart Eclipse after installation has completed.
Congratulations! You are ready to use the Stardust Eclipse Process Manager.
Documentation for your first steps can be found under
- Help > Help Contents, select Stardust Online Documentation or
- online at https://infinity.sungard.com/documentation/stardust/7.0/index.jsp
You may want to start with a first tutorial: the Support-Case Example here.
Local Eclipse Update Site (offline)
For one of the reasons mentioned in the introduction you may prefer to download the complete update site so you can use it as a local Eclipse update and install the Stardust - Eclipse Process Manager features offline, possibly to multiple environments. The zipped complete Eclipse update site can be downloaded from the repository
The installation of the right Eclipse version and of Subclipse as described in the section "Eclipse Installation" is still a pre-condition.
- Open the context menu Help > Install New Software...
- Push Add button
- Enter Name: Stardust local site and Location: <YourLocalStardust.zipLocation>
- Select the check box Eclipse Process Manager - Modeling
- Confirm all follow-up screens
- Restart Eclipse after installation has completed.
- can be found under Help > Help Contents, select Stardust Online Documentation
- or online at https://infinity.sungard.com/documentation/stardust/7.0/index.jsp
You can start with a first tutorial: Support-Case Example here.
Install Features as Drop-ins
Please refer to the Eclipse Platform Plug-in Developer Guide's section "The drop-ins folder and supported file layouts".
Remember start Eclipse using the parameter -clean after making modifications to the drop-ins folder.
The right Eclipse Version
The Stardust - Eclipse Process Manager is based on the Eclipse Platform and consists of the combination of the basic Eclipse platform and a number of plug-ins. Currently only Eclipse Helios Service Release 2 (Eclipse 3.6 SR2, build 20110218-0911) is supported. Please make sure to download the appropriate version for your operating system. It’s strongly recommended to download the bundle Eclipse IDE for Java and Report Developers here to avoid having to install additional missing plug-ins at a later point.
After downloading, install Eclipse by extracting it into a target folder of your choice. Start the Eclipse application. When the Eclipse IDE opens for the first time you are presented with a Welcome screen, which you may close.