This page lists the formatting guidelines that should be used by all documents on the Stardust Wiki. The purpose of these guidelines is to create uniform experience to the readers.
Deciding on a new Page Location
A new page should be added under URL, Stardust/Knowledge_Base/Topic_Name>/Nice_Page_Name
Where, topic can be any main item listed on knowledge base home page like Getting Started, Customization, Embedded Usage, Security. etc.
Please do not use spaces but underscores ( _ ) to create nice page names in natural writing. However, please also try to keep the name short. The page name will server as teh page title, no additonal title(repetition) should be used (would show up in TOC).
You may have sub-topics under main topic. For example, ‘SSO and Secure Communication with Stardust using Kerberos’ article is added at this relative URL;
If a deper hierarchy is used then overview pages listing sub items should exist on all levels. Otherwise the breadcrumbs on the top of the page will not display properly.
Adding a new Page
To add a new page in the knowledge base, do the following:
- from knowledge base home page, browse to the category under which you want to add a new page;
- now, in browser URL, append a forward slash (/) followed by a new page title (use _ instead of blanks) and hit the enter key;
- the wiki will display that there is currently no text in this page, and if you wish to edit and create a new page, you may click on ‘edit this page’ option; and
- the wiki will open the page editor, and you may add content and save the page.
Page Titles, Headings and Capitalization
- Use the "all nouns" style for titles and page headings: Capitalize all nouns and nouns only. Do not capitalize articles, prepositions, conjunctions, and forms of to be.
- If you wish to give a title to the page, use 'Heading 1' formatting.
- For all first class headings (level1) in your page, use the 'Heading 2' formatting.
- For sub-headings under level1 heading, use 'Heading 4' and reduce headers down as per your need.
- Note that by default all page headers appear in the table of contents section at the top. So if you want to highlight text in the page, use bold, italics or underline formating.
- For normal paragraph text, use 'Normal' formatting option.
- Do not prefix hedings with numerations. Those will be added automatically in the table of contents and adding them will double the numeration
- Do not use dots or collons at teh end of a title or heading
XML, SQL and Source FormatingUse the tag
Linking new Pages
When we add a new page at appropriate location in wiki, by default it is not linked with any existing page. We need to explicitly add a link to this new page on either knowledge base home page or under some topic overview page.
Use bullets with page titles on overview page to link pages.
A Table of Contents is automatically generated at the top of an article. Add the keyword __NOTOC__ on the first line of the article using the Wikitext editor to suppress the ToC.
Edit links are automatically generated on the right side of header sections. To suppress them add __NOEDITSECTION__ at the top of the article using the Wikitext editor.
Hint: Technically these keywords can be anywhere on the page, but it makes sense to keep them at the top of the page, so they are easily found.