Knowledge Base Formatting Guidelines
This Stardust Knowledge Base Formatting Guide lists down the formatting guidelines that should be used by all documents on the Stardust knowledge base. The purpose of these guidelines is to create uniform experience to the readers.
The guidelines are given below.
1. Decide new page location:
A new page should be added under URL, STP/Stardust/KnowledgeBase/<category>/new_page
Where, category can be any main top listed on knowledge base home page like Getting Started, Customization, Embedded Usage, and Security.
You may have sub-category under main category. For example, ‘SSO and Secure Communication with Stardust using Kerberos’ article is added at this URL;
2. How to add new page?
To add a new page in the knowledge base, do the following:
- from knowledge base home page, browse to the category under which you want to add a new page;
- now, in browser URL, append a forward slash (/) followed by a new page title and hit the enter key;
- the wiki will display that there is currently no text in this page, and if you wish to edit and create a new page, you may click on ‘edit this page’ option; and
- the wiki will open the page editor, and you may add the content and save the page.
3. Page headings:
- If you wish to give a title to the page, use Heading 1 formatting.
- For all first class headings (level1) in your page, use the Heading 2 formatting.
- For sub-headings under level1 heading, use Heading 3 and reduce headers down as per your need.
- Note that, by default, all page headers appear in the index contents section at the top. So if you want to highlight text in the page, use bold or underline options.
- All other text, use the Normal formatting option.
4. Adding source code on the page:
Use tag <source lang=""> for formatting the source code. Change the value of ‘lang’ attribute to either ‘Java’, SQL or ‘XML’.
5. Linking new pages.
When we add a new page at appropriate location in wiki, by default it is not linked with any existing page. We need to explicitly add link to this new page on either knowledge base home page or under some topic category overview page.
Use bullets with page titles on overview page to link pages.