- 1 Eclipse Scout 3.8.0 Release Documentation (Draft)
Eclipse Scout 3.8.0 Release Documentation (Draft)
Review materials ready: June 6th, 2012
Review date: June 2012
This page provides the required docuware for the Scout 3.8.0 Release Review as part of the upcoming Juno Simultaneous Release
Contact: Matthias Zimmermann(matthias.zimmermann (at) bsiag.com)
Process Documentation : 
Eclipse Scout is a mature and open framework for modern, service oriented business applications.
- Scout applications may run on diffent frontend technologies (Swing, SWT, Web) without any changes in the source code
- Scout substantially boosts developer productivity and is simple to learn.
- User friendly applications are straight forward to implement with Scout’s comprehensive set of user interface components.
- Completely based on Java/Eclipse, Scout Applications are easy to integrate in most IT environments.
Below the central new features for Scout 3.8.0 are listed for both the runtime and the tooling part. See the Eclipse Scout 3.8.0 New & Noteworthy for a more complete overview.
- Support for Scout web applications, based on RAP
- New UI Element for SVG
- JAX-WS Support
- Support to build Scout web applications
- Manage libraries (automatic bundle creation for selected JAR files and linking with Scout app)
- Technology checkboxes to include support for technology X in the Scout app (X=JAX-WS, JDBC Drivers, etc.)
Scout Documentation/Tutorials etc. provided on the Scout wiki
Status per communication channel
- Forum: OK
- Wiki: OK with additional tutorials for the new features, existing tutorials updated.
- Webpage: OK
- Mailing list: OK for important infos to all committers
We certify that the public Scout APIs in this release are production quality. As a significant amount of commercial customer applications are based on these APIs we evaluate/communicate changes accordingly (e.g.  or )
We have replaced Scout Apache Axis Support by JAX-WS Support in Scout 3.8.0. The prior discussion did not turn up any objections to this.
- Status: OK (ticket transfer from internal tickets completed, for all tickets bugzilla is now the leading system)
- No open major, critical, or blocker
- All Juno tickets Scout 3.8.0 List
- Overview for severety / status Scout 3.8.0 Report
- Some release context Scout bugs per target milestone
Community and Support
- Meeting Code Recommenders in Darmstadt
- EclipseCon Europe: Booth, Talk + sponsored Talk
- Eclipse Day Paris: Talk
- Eclipse Stammtisch Zurich: Organized by BSI
- EclipseCon Washington: Booth, Talk + sponsored Talk
- Eclipse Day Florence: Talk
- Eclipse Scout Tutorial starting JavaMagazin 2012.7 (German periodical)
- Demo Camp Bonn: Talk (planned)
- Demo Camp Zurich: Organized by BSI
- Demo Camp Zurich: Talk (planned)
Observing from forum/bugzilla Scout adoption has started. First forum threas answered by adopters from outside BSI. Contributing to Scout outside of BSI has not yet been observed. All committers are currently employees from BSI.
No open IP Issues for Eclipse Scout 3.8.0. The approved IP Log is attached to bug 380348
The component leadership verifies that:
- The about files and use licenses are in place as per the Guidelines to Legal Documentation.
- All contributions (code, documentation, images, etc) have been committed by individuals who are either Members of the Foundation, or have signed the appropriate Committer Agreement. In either case, these are individuals who have signed, and are abiding by, the Eclipse IP Policy.
- All significant contributions have been reviewed by the Foundation's legal staff.
- All non-Committer code contributions, including third-party libraries, have been documented in the release and reviewed by the Foundation's legal staff.
- All Contribution Questionnaires have been completed.
Link to Scout Project Plan