Scout/Concepts/Type of application
|Download • Git|
|Forums • Blog • Twitter • G+|
During the creation of a new Scout Project, it is possible to chose the type of application that should be created. This page gives an overview of the different types.
This type of application correspond to a minimal client server application.
- Empty desktop client application frame
- No forms in the Scout client
- No related form services in the Scout server
Single form application
In this type of application, the main window displays a form. In this example (Swing, Nimbus look and feel, Windows), the menu bar is displayed in this main window on top of the main form.
The SDK creates:
- In the Scout client plugin: A form, called DesktopForm.
- In the Scout server plugin: A process service, called DesktopProcessService
- In the Scout shared plugin: The process interface IDesktopProcessService and the a DTO, called DesktopFormData
The desktop form is opened on client startup. Before it is displayed in the client application frame, the wiring provided with the single form application fetches data from the Scout server using the desktop process service.
With this type of application, there is no default support for outlines and pages.
Outline based application
Outline based application is the most complete type of application. It is suitable if you want to represent outlines and their pages in the main window. In this example (Swing, Nimbus look and feel, Windows) the main window provides: the menu bar, a way to switch between the Outlines attached to the desktop, and a representation of the active outline: on the left hand side the page tree and on the right the selected page.