This page contains blue sky thinking about the kind of things we would like to see in SWT's immediate future. This is a place to collect ideas - it does not represent a commitment to implement the ideas.
Theme Drawing API
- Provide an API to draw operating system themed controls and parts of controls.
- Partially implemented already. May need to expand or implement on remaining platforms.
- Add more native controls to SWT such as Header and HeaderItem
- Native tool bar support for the Mac
- Single MenuBar per Display support for Mac
- 'Source list' mode for Trees in Cocoa (like iTunes or Mail.app)
- Investigate custom draw for controls other than tables and trees (Menu background)
- Gesture/touch event support for Windows 7 and Mac OS X
- Use native DateTime dropdown control on Cocoa
- Animation, transformation and effects API (something like CoreAnimation or Windows Animation Manager)
- Button with SWT.WRAP
- Radial Gradients
- Add new API to give more control to the way images are saved, i.e. jpeg quality, dpi, etc.
- Add new API to allow storing an image in parts (tiles) for faster rendering of very large images.
- Support writing multi-page TIFF to allow tiled images to be stored as tiles.
- Ensure that any image can be saved in any format on any platform.
- Add new API to handle more printer options.
- Investigate performance improvements on all platforms.
- Investigate lightweight monitoring and tracing tool  to find slow code and problem areas in big applications.
- Investigate SWT in a Browser
- investigate SproutCore as a platform
- investigate and/or implement a JCL (Java Class Library) for the browser
- implement API to resolve desktop and web (Display.run(), async image loading ...)
- implement API to animate layouts
- implement API for async dialogs
- CSS engine improvments
- Make SWT/Qt ready for usage in RCP apps. (See https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=318484)
- Webkit for Windows
- GTK for AIX and HPUX
- Text editable interface
- Complete new accessiblity API
- Change widget orientation on the fly
- Non-Gregorian calendar support