Difference between revisions of "SWT/Plan3.5"
|Line 4:||Line 4:|
* * NOTE: We have collected the ideas from this wiki and the official plan is now here: [http://www.eclipse.org/swt/R3_5/plan.html]
== Cocoa Port ==
== Cocoa Port ==
Latest revision as of 17:56, 27 January 2009
This page contains blue sky thinking about the kind of things we would like to see in SWT's immediate future. This is a place to collect ideas - it does not represent a commitment to implement the ideas.
* * NOTE: We have collected the ideas from this wiki and the official plan is now here:  * *
 Cocoa Port
- Port SWT to the Macintosh cocoa widget toolkit. This involves improving the prototype code  to be product quality. There is lots of work to do here from rewriting the (PI) Platform Interface generator used to model Objective-C and the cocoa class library in Java, then calling that Java code to implement SWT.
- Investigate mechanisms to support BIDI better on the Macintosh where mirroring is not supported (nor expected) for the base widgets, such as trees and tables, yet button and field ordering needs to be right-to-left.
- Improve BIDI support in SWT in single line edit fields.
 Theme Drawing API
- Provide an API to draw operating system themed controls and parts of controls.
 Native Controls
- Add more native controls to SWT such as Header and HeaderItem, native tool bar support for the Macintosh and more.
- Investigate custom draw for controls other than tables and trees.
- Add new API to give more control to the way images are saved, i.e. jpeg quality, dpi, etc.
- Add new API to allow storing an image in parts (tiles) for faster rendering of very large images.
- Support writing multi-page TIFF to allow tiled images to be stored as tiles.
- Ensure that any image can be saved in any format on any platform.
- Add new API to handle more printer options.
- Provide hooks for third party non-native assisitive technologies such as IAccessible2 to integrate into SWT.
 StyledText Improvements
- Investigate block selection
- Investigate a link style
- Investigate performance improvements on all platforms.
- Investigate lightweight monitoring and tracing tool  to find slow code and problem areas in big applications.
- Investigate SWT in a Browser
- complete Flex and Dojo port, implement Silverlight port
- investigate and/or implement a JCL (Java Class Library) for the browser
- implement API to resolve desktop and web (Display.run(), async image loading ...)
- implement API to animate layouts
- implement API for async dialogs
- Declarative UI
- CSS stying
- Animation and Effects API