There is growing interest in supporting touch events and gestures in the SWT, and we want to consider adding it to the SWT for 3.7. The bugzilla bug requesting this feature is 279884.
This page will be used as a collecting point for platform API references, other work to draw from, and, eventually, API.
Platform support for touch and gestures
Mac OS X trackpad event handling
Flash 10.1/AIR 2.0 support for touch events and gestures
Java touch event projects
Project Kenai Mac multi-touch support - Apache licensed
Eclipse plugin based on Kenai work - EPL licensed
These are interesting because they will work on 10.5 and 10.6, but the implementation relies on a private framework. Only official AppKit support for touch events exists in 10.6.
- A collection of new Event subclasses and SWTEventListener subclasses will be defined
- TouchEvent, GestureEvent, ....
- TouchEventListener, GestureEventListener, ....
- Control needs new methods to add and remove each kind of base listener class (likely TouchEvent and GestureEvent).
- Touches always go to the deepest Control in the visual hierarchy.
- Clients only need to create a listener and add it to the Control - no additional coding necessary.