This pages contains the frequently asked questions of the SMILA project.
- 1 Building SMILA
- 2 Launching SMILA
- 2.1 Bundles
- 2.1.1 Launching crawler bundles - How do I overcome the Could not find crawler id error message?
- 2.1.2 I changed the implementation of a bundle, deployed it and restarted SMILA, but SMILA still seems to use the old bundle
- 2.1.3 I changed bundle settings in my config.ini, but after SMILA restart nothing changed
- 2.2 JConsole
- 2.1 Bundles
- 3 Configuring/Running SMILA
- 3.1 Crawler
- 3.2 Pipeline
- 3.3 Lucene Indexing / Search
- 4 Implementing Pipelets / Processing Services / Bundles
I receive an Out of Memory error? What can I do?
While building with SMILA.builder I receive the following errror message:
Build Failed - Out of Memory - Java heap space
The reason for this is that Ant hasn´t enough heap space to build the project. You will have to expand the heap space by setting the VM arguments accordingly. In eclipse try the following:
- Click Open external tools dialog and select your Ant build profile.
- Switch to the JRE tab and add the following VM arguments: -Xms40m -Xmx512m.
- Save and build again.
Launching crawler bundles - How do I overcome the Could not find crawler id error message?
While launching SMILA I receive the following error message:
Could not find crawler id
If you started SMILA.launch to launch SMILA: The launcher didn't start your new crawler bundle. Try this:
- Add your bundle by selecting "Open Run dialog" in eclipse and choose your SMILA profile.
- Select your bundle in the list and set the checkmark.
- Set the start level to "4" and the autostart to "true".
If you started SMILA.EXE to launch SMILA: Your bundle isn`t defined in config.ini or the start level isn´t correct. Try this:
- Open the file config.ini and add your bundle as show below:
- Open the build.properties file of your bundle and include the folders schemas/, OSGI-INF/, and the file plugin.xml.
I changed the implementation of a bundle, deployed it and restarted SMILA, but SMILA still seems to use the old bundle
Close SMILA, delete the following directories in your configuration folder and restart SMILA again:
I changed bundle settings in my config.ini, but after SMILA restart nothing changed
Check your config.ini for unusual whitespaces (e.g. a tab) between the (edited) bundle entries - and remove them.
If that doesn't help, see question (resp. answer) before.
Why is the SMILA package not in the JConsole tree?
I've started SMILA.exe but the SMILA package isn't in the tree of JConsole.
To solve this try the following:
- Create a new connection.
- Change your connection by setting the port "9004" on the Remote tab.
- Click the Connect button, switch to the MBeans tab, and check the tree again.
Why is the SMILA/CrawlerController MBean not in the JConsole tree?
Check if all needed bundles are active. Open the equinox console and type:
- ss crawler
- ss deltaindexing.impl
If one of these is not active:
- check the configuration/config.ini
- check the log file for errors
I tried to crawl/index a data source, JConsole says "Crawl ... sucessfully started" but nothing seem to happen
Check if your queue is receiving records:
- Open the JConsole's MBeans tab and go to:
- if <code>EnqueueCount is increased your queue is receiving records, so it's not a crawler issue.
If your queue didn't receive any records from the crawler:
- Did you crawl the data source before? If so, try a
clearAllon the DeltaIndexing-MBean in your JConsole
- Check your crawler configuration file (see configuration/org.eclipse.smila.connectivity.framework/)
- Check the queue routing configuration: org.eclipse.smila.connectivity.queue.worker/QueueWorkerRouterConfig.xml
- Check the queue connection: org.eclipse.smila.connectivity.queue.worker/QueueWorkerConnectionConfig.xml
- If queue is running in a separate SMILA instance (e.g. on another PC), make sure that "Queue-SMILA" is started before "Crawler-SMILA"
Why do I get a timeout exception during a (long running) pipeline execution?
In SMILA there's a timeout configured for a pipeline execution:
Lucene Indexing / Search
How can I browse/search an existing Lucene index?
Why are attributes in my Lucene index missing / permuted?
Open your configuration files:
- if all index fields are specified in these two files
- if the field numbers are compatible to each other
Still the same problem?
- Close SMILA, remove file (if exists): workspace/org.eclipse.smila.search.datadictionary/DataDictionary.xml and restart SMILA
SMILA doesn't return search results, although I see appropriate entries for my query in the Lucene index
Open the file: configuration/org.eclipse.smila.search.datadictionary/DataDictionary.xml
- Check the
Constraintentries for all fields: All fields that are set
requiredmust contain the query string!
Still problems? Try removing the workspace version of that file if it exists:
- Close SMILA, remove workspace/org.eclipse.smila.search.datadictionary/DataDictionary.xml, and restart SMILA.
Implementing Pipelets / Processing Services / Bundles
I want to use the
ConfigUtils class in my Processing Service to read the configuration, where do I have to put my configuration files?
Configuration files are searched for in the following order:
- <config-file> in the root path of the bundle jar-file
Deploy / Launch
I implemented a Processing Service in a new bundle but SMILA log says that it couldn't be found
Check your new bundle, it should contain a file like that:
In this file your new processing service has to be referenced.