SDK Known Issues
I downloaded and extracted the ZIP file - how do I install Eclipse?
You don't need to install Eclipse. In the extracted folder, simply double-click the eclipse.exe executable file.
I am prompted for a password when extracting the ZIP file
This is a known issue with the Windows extraction utility. Try using a third-party extraction tool:
Extracting the ZIP file fails
This could be caused by the the Windows built-in extraction utility (as with the password problem above). Try using a third-party extraction tool as described above.
If still get errors such as the "The filename is too long" or similar wording, it is most likely because you are trying to extract Eclipse into a root directory that has a lengthy path, for example c:\JavaDevelopment\Eclipse\3.4. The Eclipse packages have some deeply nested paths in them, and when combined with a long root installation path, the resulting final path for some files can exceed limits set by Windows' file system. To avoid this problem, try extracting the ZIP file to a shorter root location, such as c:\Eclipse.
Bug 166597 has a lengthy discussion about this issue.
Eclipse using GCJ
Most Linux distributions ship with the GNU Compiler for Java (GCJ). Although Eclipse is known to run on GCJ, it is not a reference platform for Eclipse, and therefore it is not tested. It is recommended that a Sun, IBM, or BEA JVM be used instead. See also the Eclipse platform 3.3 reference platforms list.
See also Eclipse.ini for instructions on how to specify a particular JVM (because on many Linux systems gcj is picked up as the default JVM even when Sun's is installed).
Eclipse on Gentoo Linux
If you are running Gentoo Linux, you may see the following error message when you start Eclipse:
* run-java-tool is not available for sun-jdk-1.6 on i686 * IMPORTANT: some Java tools are not available on some VMs on some architectures
Crashers and other Major Issues
Please see the IRC FAQ for some known suggested solutions to the problems described below.
- Eclipse is constantly crashing for me on Sun's Java 6 VM...
- Eclipse gets past the splash screen but then an empty window appears / Eclipse is crashing on me whenever I initiate a browser component such as hovering over Java methods for javadoc tooltips...
- The JEE build for Eclipse Ganymede / Eclipse 3.4 does not run for me but the Eclipse Classic build starts up just fine...
- Why does Eclipse hang for an extended period of time after opening an editor in Linux/gtk+?
- Eclipse is crashing for me when performing Subversion operations on Windows. I am using Subclipse.
- I'm having memory, heap, or permgen problems, what can I do?
- Eclipse is constantly crashing for me on Linux and I have a lot of plug-ins installed.