For a Riena-based application to compile, a certain set of bundles (plug-ins) must be available at compile time. This set of bundles is known as target platform. Follow the steps below to set up the target platform for Riena applications.
Running the code samples and example client
1. Download Eclipse for RCP and RAP Developers and start with a blank workspace.
2. Download the
RienaSetup project and import it into your workspace.
3. In the imported project, open the file
Riena_on_4x.target and set the target platform.
Note: If you want to use Riena on an Eclipse 3.x or RAP basis, select the appropriate target definition.
4. Open the "Plug-Ins" view and import as source project:
org.eclipse.riena.sample.snippets(not relevant for Riena on RAP)
5. In the project
RienaSetup, select the launch configuration "SWT ExampleApplication E4" and add required plug-ins, then Run it. For Riena on Eclipse 3.x or RAP, use the appropriate launch configuration.
- Explore the code and plugin.xml in the example project
6. Some specific techniques are demonstrated in the snippets project, imported in step 4.
Manual target platform setup
- Download Eclipse IDE 3.8.x for your platform and start with a blank workspace. Eclipse 3.x downloads
- Create a new target platform under Window => Preferences => Target Platform => Add => Nothing: Start with an empty target platform => Next
- Provide a name like Riena 4.0.0
- Click Add => Software Site
- Select the repository: http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/updates/3.8
- Uncheck "Group by Category" otherwise you can't see all components.
- Uncheck "Include required software" and select following components:
- Eclipse RCP
- Eclipse RCP Plug-in Developer Resources
- Eclipse RCP SDK
- Equinox Target Components
- Go back to Add => Software Site
- Select http://download.eclipse.org/rt/riena/22.214.171.124b/update
- Uncheck "Group by Category" and select following components:
- Riena Core Target Components
- Riena Target Components
- Riena Samples Target Components
The result should look like this:
- Activate the platform.
Now you are ready to start writing Riena applications. To get a feeling of the Riena framework, take a look at Riena's Example Applications and Code Templates.
Set up Riena Toolbox
For more details about the Riena Toolbox, look here http://wiki.eclipse.org/Riena/Toolbox.
Build your own Riena-Targetplatform
Riena provides a tycho-build to build a targetplatform from cvs head. Follows these steps:
Start the build:
- Checkout the bundle org.eclipse.riena.build.tycho from cvs (:pserver:firstname.lastname@example.org:/cvsroot/rt)
- Open a shell and go to the directory org.eclipse.riena.build.tycho
- Checkout the sources by executing: ant -f checkout.xml -DCHECKOUT_DIR=checkout -DTARGET_DIR=target
- Go to target/org.eclipse.riena.build.tycho
- Execute: mvn clean install -P all-modules -Dmaven.test.skip=true
At the moment Tycho can't handle the package import to javax.servlet, so we had to replace this with a dependencie. We accomplished this by patching the MANIFEST.MF from the bundle org.eclipse.communication.core after the checkout. There may be other issues with the result of this build or the buildprocess itself, so be aware that this is not yet production ready.