Eclipse 4 offers some key concepts which ease the development of RCP applications.
Among these are
- EMF based Workbench Model
- Separation of Model and Presenentation
- Customizable Rendering Engine
- Dependency Injection ( no more Singletons )
Learn more about E4.
Riena supports these new concepts to simplify the implementation of Riena applications in turn. Therefore there is a new branch rienaOnE4 in the Riena Git Repository where all Riena E4 development happens.
The following guide will walk through the necessary steps to setup your environment in minutes.
- Grab the Eclipse Kepler 4.3 Release from the website
- Install it to your preferred location
Setup Target Platform
- Add new, empty Target Definition and give it the name rienaE4
- Select Software Site http://download.eclipse.org/releases/kepler
- Select following Components
- Equinox Target Components
- Eclipse RCP
- Eclipse RCP SDK
- Eclipse RCP Plug-in Developer Resources
- Activate rienaE4 Target Platform
- Clone the Riena Git Repository to any location in your file system
git clone git://git.eclipse.org/gitroot/riena/org.eclipse.riena.git
For more information about using the Riena Git Repository checkout Riena on Git.
- Import the Git Repository in Eclipse
- Switch to Branch rienaOnE4
- Checkout additional dependencies using the projectset in org.eclipse.riena.releng
If you have problems with the projectset checkout https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=380375
Start Your Engines
- Open the dialog Run Configurations...
- Use the launch configuration SWT ExampleApplication E4 to start the Example Application
- If required, select Add Required Plug-Ins in the Plug-Ins tab