Code Recommenders - Code Search Engine
If Siri were a code search engine... what would you ask it?
This page collects your demands on what search questions a code search engine should be able to answer. Do you have some frequently reoccurring searches you ask your code search engine? Then add it on this page (no matter how complex or simple the question is). Note, JDT's code search offers a quite sophisticated code search engine that allows you to specify many different options such as
- [Search String] what literal to look for
- [LImit to] references, declarations, implementators, all - or -
- [Match Location] where a search phrase should match in a compilation unit (specified in Match Location Dialog),
- [search for] which type of java element you are looking for when searching for a string (Type/Method/Package/Constructor/Field)
- [Search in] where to search for potential hits (sources, required projects, JRE libraries, App libraries)
- [Scope] which further limits the Search in clause.
... who calls this method? (solvable by JDT call hierarchy)
... who calls these 3 methods together in a method?
... who uses this type in his own code? (as in JDT's References workspace search)
... who uses these 3 types together in a method?
... who extends this type in his own code? (as in JDT class hierarchy)
... tell me which public methods exist in my libraries that return an instance of type X?
... tell me which classes exist in my project that offer static fields or methods?
... tell me which classes exist in my project that offer static fields or methods of (return) type IWorkbench?
... find all Type/Method/Constructor/Package/Field declarations that are named like "someName*" (JDT search)
... find all references in $location of Type/Method/Constructor/Package/Field declarations named like "someName*" (JDT search)
... find all implementors of Type/Method named like "someName*"