RT Marketing page
Creating an EclipseRT Brand
We plan to create a brand that can be used to help promote the fact that Eclipse provides runtime technology. Our goal is to create a brand with the identifier EclipseRT.
The EclipseRT brand will be used to promote technology that runs on Equinox and can be incorporated/embedded into an application using the OSGi component architecture. The applications that can be built with EclipseRT technology can run on embedded, mobile, desktop and server platforms.
Applications built using EclipseRT technology are not specific to software development tools. In fact, we are creating the EclipseRT brand so we can change the perception that Eclipse does more than tools.
Eclipse currently has an Eclipse Runtime top-level project and PMC. It is expected that all projects within this top-level project will us the EclipseRT brand on their project web site. They will also be encourage to refer to themselves 'part of EclipseRT'. Eclipse projects, outside of the Eclipse Runtime PMC, that operate as runtime application frameworks, specifically not tool frameworks, will be encourage to use the EclipseRT brand.
Third party products and open source projects that use EclipseRT technology will be encourage to use a 'Built with EclipseRT' logo. This is similar to the current 'Built on Eclipse' logo.
Creating an EclipseRT logo
The logo will be used/could be in the following ways:
- web sites of Eclipse projects; this could be square graphics or larger banners
- products that are built using EclipseRT technology (We might want a 'Built with EclipseRT' version)
- splash screen decoration (as a part of some other splash)
- shirts, stickers, assorted promotional stuff
A bugzilla entry has been opened to allow individuals to submit suggestions.
Questions or guidance on what we would like to see in the logo:
- What are the core values that the logo is supposed to convey?
The core concept of EclipseRT is to create a network of components that individuals can use to create applications. The EclipseRT components have a consistent programming model so it makes it easier to combine them into an application. Some people have referred to this concept of a 'stackless stack'.
- Is there something that the logo SHOULD NOT be like?
Can't think of anything
- What is the actual project name? Eclipse Runtime? EclipseRT?
The project name is Eclipse Runtime but the logo/brand is to represent the Eclipse technology that can be used in a runtime setting. The logo/brand is not meant to just represent the project.
- Should the logo incorporate the project name or should it be usable (and recognizable) even without the name?
- The word EclipseRT should be included in forms
- There should be a stand alone graphic version
- It would be good if the graphic conveyed a relation to Eclipse but this is not required
- Are there any restrictions/ideas/proposals regarding the color scheme (e.g. consistent with the Eclipse colors)?
Some consistency would be nice but not required.
- should be possible to have the logo on the standard Eclipse IDE splash screens
- What media should the logo be suitable for? Web is a given, but what about print media?
Focus should be on web but print needs to be an option
- Should the logo also work with a reduced color set, e.g. b/w or spot colors only?
- Should the logo also work for lower resolution prints, e.g. screen printing on T-Shirts etc.?
Upcoming Article Library
We would like to keep an update list of articles that people are planning to write. One hope is that we ca reused these articles in multiple places.
- list author, topic of author, proposed publication