There are several ways to create custom widgets for RAP. This article is not a guide on how to create them, but links to relevant resources for the different RAP versions and covers some current issues. A list of known custom widgets can be found here: RAP/Add-Ons.
SWT-Style Custom Widgets
Those are custom widgets like they are created in SWT. There are two types: Compound widgets and Self-drawing widgets.
This guide by the creators of SWT pre-dates RAP, but is still valid for current SWT/RAP versions. The chapters about native-code can be ignored.
The current RAP developers guide covers some RAP-specific aspects of such custom-widgets.
- Bug 321274 - Compound Custom Widget Focus
- Bug 370328 - [Canvas] - Text has wrong z-index
- Bug 375615 - [GC] - Drawing order of image is not correct
- Bug 370313 - [Canvas] - Tweak canvas performance in IE7/8
- Bug 361615 - [Canvas] - Implement SWT.NO_BACKGROUND to avoid clearing the canvas rectangle
Browser-based Custom Widgets
- Bug 363811 - [Browser] certain characters in browser function name crash client
- Bug 371132 - [BrowserFunction] - Support calls to browser function while another browser function is pending
- Bug 371133 - [Browser] - Support multiple script executions
- Bug 323803 - [ipad] Browser-widget/iframe broken
ClientScripting-based Custom Widget
ClientScripting is an Incubator Projects suitable to create RAP custom widgets. It requires at least RAP 1.5.
- The RAP 1.5 Developers Guide on ClientScripting-based Custom Widgets
- The RAP 2.x Developers Guide on ClientScripting-based Custom Widgets
- ClientScripting in the RAP Wiki
- Bug 371089 - [ClientScripting] - Synchronize user data from server to client
- Bug 371071 - [ClientScripting] [VerifyEvent] VerifyEvent not fired on programmatic changes
- Bug 406801 - [ClientScripting] 'use strict' not supported in ClientListener]
- Bug 391414 - [Clientscripting] Server side redraw() does not always trigger client side paint event]
- Bug 404896 - [ClientScripting] Verify event keyCode is always zero when replacing text]
RAP-native Custom Widget (RAP 1.x)
Custom widgets based in the internal RAP architecture, like the widgets in the core-framework do. Will not run in an SWT-application. The RAP 1.4 Developers Guide contains a detailed guide to creating native Custom Widgets. Its based on the older GoogleMaps widget for RAP. Some information may be slightly out of date for RAP 1.5. Will not work at all for RAP 2.x. IMPORTANT: Your qooxdoo class must no longer extend "CanvasLayout" but "org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Composite".!
Remote API based Custom Widget