Polarsys: Provide Long Term Support and develop the ecosystem of Eclipse tools for Critical Embedded Systems
The Polarsys Industry Working Group addresses specific issues of Industrial Users who create Embedded Software with long life cycles:
- The software embedded in a spatial mission needs to be supported for more than 25 years in response to the lifetime of the mission.
- The software embedded in an aircraft flight command system must be "certified" according to safety standards, including the tooling used to produce this software.
Thus, during the whole life-cycle of the product, those Software users need maturity assessment and long lasting support for their tooling. These concerns are also relevant in other safety regulated environments like railway or energy, and also for other domains with long life products like telco.
The goal of Polarsys is to organize the open source and business ecosystem around tools for the development of dependable embedded systems in order to create better tooling and to enable long term support for these tools.
Polarsys focuses on four main points (see http://wiki.eclipse.org/Polarsys/Proposal):
- Open Innovation to create better methods and tools
- Computer Assistance and Automation with a focus on Model Based System Engineering
- Certification to ease the tools qualification in complex certification processes
- Very Long Term Support because Embedded Systems and tools may be maintained for 40 years or more
Polarsys does not only cover Topcased and its components, but also numerous other projects like GeneAuto for qualified code generation, Unisim for simulation, Frama-C for static code analysis or ArCon for validation of models that are part of a full featured tool chain for the development of Embedded Systems.
(We will tell you the story of Polarsys and we will describe how we implement such long term availability and maturity assessment for Eclipse tools.)