Platform UI MarkersView
Markers View Design Notes
We are currently looking at some significant changes to how markers are represented in the Eclipse SDK.
The current implementation of a view for Tasks, Bookmarks and Problems is not sufficient for how many people are using markers.
Some of the key issues in no particular order are
- Problems is the main markers view. It is not clear that tasks and bookmarks need to be separate
- There are a lot of views in even moderately sized Eclipse applications. Consolidating these 3 views into one view would reduce clutter
- Large applications have a very large amount of marker types to contend with and get a lot of updates that are just confusing to users
- Filtering is too complex. There should be some good default filters and filtering in general needs to be simplified
- Working set support is not tied to working set selection but rather resource selection
- Columns are not configurable or expandable. Many fields (such as location) are not relevant to some markers with others need information we are not showing (like sourceId).