This page is under construction.
For now we'll use this to capture the list of work items that we intend to address during the 4.2 development cycle.
Productizing Eclipse 4
This section deals with the tasks necessary to bring Eclipse 4's functionality up to par with 3.x as regards using 4.x as the basis for enterprise applications.
- bug 280358 Intro: We have to provide a 4.2 specific implementation for the IntroManager. We should be able to do this in a more organized fashion than currently exists in 3.x
- Accessibility: We need to ensure that Eclipse 4's accessibility is on par with that of 3.x.
- NLS: We need to ensure that Eclipse 4's language support is on par with that of 3.x.
- Activities/Capabilities: We need to integrate the current Activities/Capabilities mechanism into Eclipse 4
- Performance: We need to do a performance review of Eclipse 4
Eclipse 4 RCP Improvements
This section contains tasks oriented towards the improving the Eclipse 4 RCP story.
- bug 351363 RCP Views: We have to refactor some of the more common views to be usable in 4.x RCP apps without dragging in the compatibility payer. This will mean changes in both the 3.x and 4.x streams since it will mean turning these views into 'real' 4.x parts and then hosting them in 3.x through the use of Tom's 'forward compatibility' layer.
- bug 350251 Refactor and extract bits from the org.eclipse.ui.workbench and org.eclipse.ui.forms bundles so that they can be reused in 4.x RCP applications
- Updating AddOns and Fragment processing
- bug 341732 - AddOns should have an "order" property that allows sorting to determine run order
- bug 324954 - [Model] Allow model fragments to use XPath-Syntax to decide where to contribute
- bug 327742 - HandledMenuItem command parameter names and ids in fragment.e4xmi must be identical to Command´s id, due...
Consuming new Eclipse 4 Features
These are the tasks needed to allow both existing and new Eclipse plug-ins to gain access to Eclipse 4's underlying API and use these to enhance their own component's User Interface.
- bug 351366 Hosted Views / Editors: We have to allow views and editors to be hosted in Dialogs, Wizards etc. At the moment it appears that there are a number of places (i.e. selection) where a part that isn't the active part doesn't work (and you also can't make a part that isn't part of the presentation structure active).
Dependency Injection and Architecture
- Working alongside other DI mechanisms
- DI and Events
- bug 331645 - EventBroker#unsubscribe is not working when same eventhandler registered for more than one topic
- bug 317419 - UIEventPublisher does not handle multi remove properly
- bug 309868 - Single EventBus is a problem in multi-user/multi-instance scenario
- bug 331690 - Update our EventBroker usage in add-ons
Paying Down the Debt
This section deals with tasks related to detecting and removing TCS (Time Critical Solution) code.
- bug 320021 Splash: We need to update the splash screen so that it is at least equivalent to the 3.x version. Note that this will depend on out getting the startup logic fixed at least to the point of not 'finishing' until the UI is actually displayed.
- bug 349867 DnD Polish: We've got to be able to do something better than the feedback we currently have. Also need to implement DnD for trim elements...
- bug 351367 Investigate eliminating the use of 'deltas': We need to see if there's an alternative implementation in which the model is stored using the EMF mechanisms. By preference we'd prefer to include the Menu/TB info in the saved model and handle missing bundles etc during rendering / run time rather than trying to clear the elements out of the model before saving.
- bug 318182 - [UI] Fix injection life-cycle - renderers, contexts, and the model