Platform UI/New Extension Point
Things to do when creating a new extension point:
- ensure that the schema file is documented. This includes documentation text for each element and attribute as well as content for each of the tabs in the Overview page (Ie: the the Since tab, Examples tab, etc)
- ensure there are test cases
- ensure that the extension response to dynamic plug-in loading. Ie: when a plugin comes along that provides an extension of this type your code handles the addition (and possibly removal) gracefully.
- ensure that, wherever it is feasible, you use abstract classes rather than interfaces to describe the code that clients should subclass. It is much easier to grow API from a class than an interface.
- add the extension to org.eclipse.platform.doc.isv/references/extension-points/index.html