Platform UI/Bug Triage Tips
This is a list of tips that bug triagers use to figure out where a bug should go.
-- Bugs within the Platform UI Space --
- Remember that the [JFace] component is for those JFace bugs that don't belong to the more specific JFace component areas ([Dialogs], [Preferences], [Viewers] and [Wizards]). Bug reporters will often mention "JFace" in the bug title, but read further to see if it can be categorized more specifically. No need to also mark it [JFace] if it belongs to the more specific area.
- Preference pages associated with another platform UI component should go to that component, not [Preferences]. For example, the keys preference page problems should go to the [KeyBindings] component, not the [Preferences] component.
-- Platform-UI vs Platform-IDE
- [Not sure what to say here. Do we have guiding principles for what belongs where, or should we always check both?]
-- Bugs not in platform UI --
- When the problem report involves some contribution that is not made my platform UI, PDE plug-in spy is your friend for figuring out where a particular UI contribution comes from.
- For selections, menus, dialogs, wizards, use Alt-Shift-F1 to launch the plug-in spy. It will tell you who made the contribution.
- For context menu items, select the item whose context menu you are interested in, use Alt-Shift-F2 to preload the plug-in spy (the cursor will change), then open the context menu and click the menu item. This will show you who made the menu contribution.