This page contains information on updating the Eclipse SDK branding elements (icon, splash screen, etc).
The splash screen used for both the Eclipse SDK and Eclipse Platform Runtime is located in the bundle org.eclipse.platform (see in Git repository). It is a single file called splash.bmp (a 452x302 bitmap). The same directory in the source tree contains some PhotoShop source files that can be used to update the splash. Typically each year the splash needs updating with the current year in the copyright statement, and the name of the Simultaneous Release.
In the same org.eclipse.platform bundle, the plugin.xml file contains properties specifying the font color and position of progress messages that are overlayed on the splash screen during startup. These properties might need changing if there are significant changes to the splash screen layout. See properties startupForegroundColor, startupMessageRect, and startupProgressRect
The icons for the Eclipse SDK are rarely updated, but when they do change, it is a significant process. Icons have to be prepared in various sizes and formats for different platforms. They have to be inserted into the build in various places.
Icon sizes and formats
The following sizes and formats are needed, as a starting point:
Png - 32 bit: (all sizes) 16, 22, 24, 32, 48, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024
Gif - 8 bit / 256 colors 16, 22, 24, 32, 48
4 bit / 16 colors 16,22,24,32,48
Note: Besides the "normal" icon, a 16x16 Gif is needed where the Eclipse icon has a border around it. This is used inside the IDE at various places (see below)
How these sizes and formats will be further prepared for delivery depends on platform:
Windows ICO file containing:
- 32 bit PNG: 16x16, 24x24, 32x32, 48x48, 64x64 and 256x256
- 8 bit GIF: 16, 24, 32, 48
- 4 bit GIF: 16, 24, 32, 48
- Only a 32-bit copy of the 256x256 pixel image should be included, and only the 256x256 pixel image should be
compressed to keep the file size down. Note that the sizes (24x24 and 64x64) are included for "classic" mode on XP.
MAC ICNS file format containing 1024x1024, 512x512, 256x256, 128x128, 32x32, 16x16, original format is PNG
Linux XPM file containing a single resolution. Currently 256x256.
Feature icons for about dialog
- Every feature with a branding plugin contains a copy of the 32-bit PNG file. The file name is specified in about.ini, but is usually called eclipse32.png.
- The primary product features (org.eclipse.platform and org.eclipse.sdk), also contain a larger 116x164 pixel image for the about dialog called eclipse_lg.gif.
The images that appear in the upper left hand corner of each window are specified by the product branding plugin (org.eclipse.platform and org.eclipse.sdk in our case). A variety of sizes and formats are given, and SWT has an algorithm to select the most appropriate image for a given platform. We currently provide:
- 32x32 GIF image (eclipse32.gif)
- 48x48 GIF image (eclipse48.gif)
- 32x32 PNG image (eclipse32.png)
- 48x48 PNG image (eclipse48.png)
- 256x256 PNG image (eclipse256.png)
Typically you can just replace the existing files with new files of the same name. If you need to add additional sizes, they are listed in plugin.xml, in the property "windowImages".
On Windows, the icon is embedded in the eclipse.exe executable. This is done by the launcher build. The icon file is placed in this Git location. A launcher build must then be run to build a new executable with the embedded icon.
On other platforms, the icon is just included as a separate file in the launcher installable unit. The icons just need to be dropped into this Git location, and they will be picked up by subsequent builds.
Icon in IDE
The IDE itself uses the Eclipse icon, e.g. in the Branding wizard or for the Eclipse launch configuration: /org.eclipse.help.ui/icons/etool16/eclipse.gif (probably not used) /org.eclipse.pde.api.tools.ui/icons/full/obj16/eclipse_profile.gif /org.eclipse.pde.ui/icons/etool16/eclipse_launcher.gif /org.eclipse.pde.ui/icons/obj16/eclipse.gif
(1) SWG User Interface Branding - Application Icon, Icon Creation: http://stwweb1.torolab.ibm.com/uibranding/rational/appl_icon_creation.html - for Windows only, does not include latest larger size 256
- Information and links provided by Eclipse developers
- Windows sizes and production information
- Mac reference
Other branding elements
The welcome page has branding that may need updating if there is a major theme change.