Basic overview of platform builds
Integration builds are in crontab of build user on build machine
Integration builds run from the tags of org.eclipse.releng
0 8 * * 2 cd /builds; /home/users/releng/buildTools/eclipse36/runIBuild
Nightly builds run from HEAD of org.eclipse.releng
0 20 * * 1,2,3,5,0 cd /builds; /home/users/releng/buildTools/eclipse36/runNBuild-skipPerf 0 20 * * 4,6 cd /builds; /home/users/releng/buildTools/eclipse36/runNBuild-skipPerf
3.5.x maintenance builds run from R3_5_maintenance branch of org.eclipse.releng
0 8 * * 3 cd /builds; /home/users/releng/buildTools/eclipse35x/runMBuild
The machines used in the builds are listed in the FAQ.
A script runs once a week to clean the test machines
0 18 * * 0 /home/users/releng/buildTools/scripts/buildblaster.sh
3.5.x test builds
cd /builds; /home/users/releng/buildTools/eclipse35x/runMKimBuildTest
3.4.2 test builds
cd /builds; /home/users/releng/buildTools/eclipse34x/runKimTestMBuild
3.2.x test builds
cd /builds; /home/users/releng/buildTools/eclipse32x/runMTestBuild-skipPerf
Here is an overview of the build scripts used in the build.
As mentioned above, the builds are initiated by cron.
The integration build is run as follows
# !/bin/sh cd /builds command="/home/users/releng/buildTools/eclipse36/bootstrap.sh -notify email@example.com -buildDirectory /builds/I -tagMapFiles -compareMaps -sign -updateSite /builds/transfer/files/updates/3.6-I-builds I" /home/users/releng/buildTools/extraTools/monitor.sh $command
You will notice that the integration build has a compareMaps flag passed to the build. This paramater takes the current version of the map file project, and compares it to the version here in the the file "/home/users/releng/buildTools/eclipse36/mapTag.properties"
-bash-3.00$ cat /home/users/releng/buildTools/eclipse36/mapTag.properties
The bootstrap script that initiates 3.6 stream builds is located on the build machine here...
If you look search for "buildProjectTags" in this file, you'll see something like this This indicates the tag of the the three releng projects (org.eclipse.releng.eclipsebuilder, org.eclipse.releng.basebuilder, eclipseInternalBuildTools) used to run the build. If you need to run the build with a new version of the builder, update this tag. buildProjectTags=v20100430
Common build failures
- Fail to fetch bundles from Orbit - symptom - java net url timeout in build failure message. Start a new build -> www.eclipse.org timeouts are intermittent.
- "Error occurred while transforming repository" usually means that the bundle couldn't be fetched from Orbit. For example
Build M20090825-1330 (Timestamp: 200908251330): The following error occurred while executing this line: /builds/M200908251330/org.eclipse.releng.eclipsebuilder/buildAll.xml:166: The following error occurred while executing this line: /builds/M200908251330/org.eclipse.releng.basebuilder/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build_3.5.1.R35x_20090721/scripts/build.xml:78: The following error occurred while executing this line: /builds/M200908251330/org.eclipse.releng.eclipsebuilder/eclipse/buildConfigs/master/customTargets.xml:18: The following error occurred while executing this line: /builds/M200908251330/org.eclipse.releng.eclipsebuilder/eclipse/buildConfigs/master/allElements.xml:16: The following error occurred while executing this line: /builds/M200908251330/org.eclipse.releng.basebuilder/plugins/org.eclipse.pde.build_3.5.1.R35x_20090721/scripts/genericTargets.xml:59: The following error occurred while executing this line: /builds/M200908251330/src/fetch_master.xml:11: The following error occurred while executing this line: /builds/M200908251330/src/fetch_master.xml:73: The following error occurred while executing this line: /builds/M200908251330/src/fetch_org.eclipse.sdk.xml:11: The following error occurred while executing this line: /builds/M200908251330/src/fetch_org.eclipse.sdk.xml:41: The following error occurred while executing this line: /builds/M200908251330/src/fetch_org.eclipse.platform.xml:11: The following error occurred while executing this line: /builds/M200908251330/src/fetch_org.eclipse.platform.xml:904: The following error occurred while executing this line: /builds/M200908251330/src/fetch_org.eclipse.equinox.p2.user.ui.xml:10: The following error occurred while executing this line: /builds/M200908251330/src/fetch_org.eclipse.equinox.p2.user.ui.xml:304: Error occurred while transforming repository.
Since our build runs in an IBM lab, the http gets for orbit bundles from eclipse.org are usually redirected from download.eclipse.org to fullmoon.ottawa.ibm.com by the foundation. This redirection can be avoided by changing the url in the orbit.map from download.eclipse.org to www.eclipse.org/external. Sometimes it will take a day or so for the internal mirror to get the latest orbit build.
- Missing dependancies due to erroneous map file submission. Check that the map file refers to a version of a project that exists in the repo. If the version of a bundle in cvs doesn't match the one in the map files, ask team to resubmit and start a new build.
- Build doesn't proceed - connent not updated etc. Check for stale cvs checkouts on eclipsebuildserv. ps -ef | grep cvs. If there is a cvs connection that's over an hour old, kill it and allow the build to proceed.
- SDKs fail to provision due to missing dependancies. There are releng logs on each test results page of the build that provide logs of the from the call to the p2 director to provision the zips. The Equinox team is helpful in finding the cause of the problem. See this page for an example. http://download.eclipse.org/eclipse/downloads/drops/R-3.5-200906111540/buildlogs.php
- Missing dependancies due to errors in Manifest or missing dependancies in manifest. In the both cases, the error sent to the releng list will look something like http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/platform-releng-dev/msg09778.html
- Dependancies expressed in manifest and feature don't match. This means that the p2 director cannot resolve the dependencies for the product it is trying to build. The resultant zips for that platform are 0 size. For instance, see bug | bug 258489. Also, you can see the .log files that the directory built by following the Release Engineering build logs link off the Test results build page.
- Message "Build failed, map files unchanged". This means either one of two things. One - a build ran and the map files were unchanged so it didn't need to run. Two - you restarted a failed build but the map files didn't change. In the second case, you should update this /home/users/releng/buildTools/eclipse36/mapTag.properties to reflect the build id of the last successful build.
Missing test results
- The test results page of the build isn't updated until all the test results have completed. To see what machines are currently being used for tests look the the following directory. There will be marker files that correspond to the machine operating system and build number.
-bash-3.00$ ls /home/users/releng/buildTools/markers/*.marker eclipse-macosx-M20090824-0800.marker eclipse-rhelws5-6.0-M20090824-0800.marker eclipse-rhelws5-M20090824-0800.marker eclipse-rhelws5-perf-M20090824-0800.marker eclipse-sled10-perf-M20090824-0800.marker eclipse-win32xp-6.0-M20090824-0800.marker eclipse-win32xp-M20090824-0800.marker eclipse-win32xp-perf-M20090824-0800.marker
If you cat the marker files you can see the hostname of the machine that corresponds to the marker file
-bash-3.00$ cat /home/users/releng/buildTools/markers/*.marker 0=lb6mac 0=ejlnx2 0=ejlnx1 0=eplnx2 0=eplnx1 0=ejwin2 0=ejwin1 0=epwin2
The windows machines run tests via rsh. The linux and mac machines run tests via ssh. The windows machines need to be rebooted every so often. The old build artifacts are cleaned automatically by cron jobs.
- The windows tests machines crash every so often. The event logs don't indicate that anything is wrong with the build. They are on the KVM next to the Eclipse rack in lab, on number 5 and 6. They can just be rebooted and logged into as the build user. I usually reboot these machines once a week so this doesn't happen.