The Platform defines the set of frameworks and common services that collectively make up infrastructure required to support the use of Eclipse as a component model, as a Rich Client Platform (RCP) and as a comprehensive tool integration platform. These services and frameworks include a standard workbench user interface model and portable native widget toolkit, a project model for managing resources, automatic resource delta management for incremental compilers and builders, language-independent debug infrastructure, and infrastructure for distributed multi-user versioned resource management.
The Eclipse Platform is divided into component areas as follows:
- Ant - Eclipse/Ant integration
- Workspace (Team, CVS, Compare, Resources) - Platform resource management
- Debug - Generic execution debug framework
- Releng - Release Engineering
- Search - Integrated search facility
- SWT - Standard Widget Toolkit (also see SWT wiki page)
- Text - Text editor framework
- User Assistance - Help system, initial user experience, cheat sheets etc.
- UI - Platform user interface
Historical information about some of the above components may be found on the following old component web pages. Information on these pages is likely not up to date:
- Contributions by the community
The platform team enjoys community contributions. For bugs which should be relatively easy to fix, please see the following list. List of Platform bugs where community help is required