Planning Council/November 23 2011
- 1 Logistics
- 2 Members and Attendees
- 3 Next Meeting
- 4 Reference
|Meeting Title:||Planning Council Conference Call|
|Date & Time:||Wednesday, November 23, 2011, at 1200 Eastern|
|Dial-in:||For the call-in numbers, see the "Project Review" number on Foundation Portal page.|
Members and Attendees
Note: "Inactive" refers to Strategic Members we have not heard from in a year or so, and have been unable to convince to participate. Those members can become active again at any time. Contact David Williams if questions.
Note: feel free to correct any errors/omissions in above attendance record.
Y = Yes, attended
N = No, did not
R = regrets sent ahead of time
X = not expected
Review Requirements for substance and wording.
In brief, the things to focus on, for this "off cycle" meeting, are the proposed changes for Juno Release.
See last meeting notes from November 09, 2011 for detailed notes of previous discussion. But, below is a brief summary of what we talked about last time and actions taken.
The three new major headings.
- Changed headings based on feed back from last meeting.
4 (now 2) proposed new items, all marked (currently) with "[added 10/18/2011]"
A. Source build.
- I removed the proposed new item and closed bug 185146 as wontfix.
B. Target Environments (Platforms and Java Levels). I tried to add some general advice, to especially help new projects, but no substantial "new work" ... just to encourage teams to think through and document what they support.
- I simplified the wording.
C. Getting source from repositories. I once thought it'd be nice to "require" the use Eclipse-SourceReference, but there was some discussion on cross-project list that not everyone liked that idea, for valid reasons. So, tried to word so that "its a good idea, and if you don't use Eclipse-SourceReference, you should provide some other easy way".
Need to discuss more? Need to clarify purpose. Is it to improve workflow, so contributors can easily provide patches? Is it so adopters IP staff can get a copy of all source used in a build? Or, both? Larger question is if it is implementable. Currently there are no commonly used tools to created team project sets (though, there are ant scripts around that do it, such as Orbit). Currently, an Eclipse-SourceReference for GIT is not implemented and no clear commitment to do it, despite being a regression in available functionality, see bug 327381.
D. Provide archived p2 repositories.
- Removed the proposed new item. Not enough agreement it was required to mention, though often good idea, many already do provide, and seemed counter to one popular builder. PLUS, we (Planning Council) have always resisted in the past doing anything to "make builds better or easier" (as it was not actually our mission), instead, focusing simply on what makes it easier for users to install things, and improve consumability by adopters. So, bad idea to include for many reasons (though, still a good idea to do).
- no time to discuss at previous meeting. Its already "required" as part of standard plan ... but, I think some guidance/mention in this document helps clarify expectations for Simultaneous Release. Any objections? Suggestions?
- Comments/actions after the meeting based on John's note to planning list ... see last meeting notes for detailed notes.
- I incorporated most, but not all suggestions, so further discussion welcome.
- I did some more "grouping" of like-items ...
- grouped several under "Excel in NL support" heading, as suggested by John
- moved 3 items up under "plan"
- moved several under a "bundle form and format" heading
- moved 2 API related items together under "APIs" (net effect was to move one "required" item to "optional" sections ... but, was basically about documenting things, anyway ... nothing "concrete" to (easily) test for common repo.
- In addition to removing the "metrics" item, I propose we remove the "capabilities" item
- Other comments/improvements to plan?
Checklist (aka tracker)
Investigate if checklist can be improved and who can do it.
- correct Portal, to be accurate to current list (and correct some minor issues, such as in some cases two fields for data were included, when one would have sufficed).
- After that's done the summary PHP pages would need to be fixed to match the Portal data.
- medium budget fix: request "XML file" (similar in concept to "standard plan") that would have and specified schema, with standard headings, etc., and then someone could write XSL/XQuery scripts to roll-up results. In theory, someone could write a form-like "front end" to produce the XML files.
- low budget fix: provide a template (or, example) wiki page, that would consist of headings only ... that projects could copy and fill out for their project. In this approach there would be no "roll up".
- Are we failing in our mission, if common repo (as a whole) is not able to be mirrored?
- See bug 362734
- Anything else?
- December 7, 2011 (our regular "first Wednesday" meeting, at Noon Eastern).