Difference between revisions of "Planning Council/May 8 2013"

From Eclipsepedia

Jump to: navigation, search
(M7)
(M7 and "end game")
 
(15 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 7: Line 7:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Date & Time:  
 
| Date & Time:  
| Wednesday, May 01, 2013, at [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2013&month=05&day=01&hour=12&min=0&sec=0&p1=179 1200 Noon Eastern]
+
| Wednesday, May 08, 2013, at [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2013&month=05&day=08&hour=12&min=0&sec=0&p1=179 1200 Noon Eastern]
 
|- valign="top"
 
|- valign="top"
 
| Dial in:  
 
| Dial in:  
 
| (See [[Asterisk]] service for complete details on SIP, potential new numbers, phone mute commands, etc.)
 
| (See [[Asterisk]] service for complete details on SIP, potential new numbers, phone mute commands, etc.)
  
Phone Numbers:  
+
Phone Numbers: (Check [[Asterisk/Numbers]] for more or current phone numbers.)
 +
:'''For all phone lines: Participant conference extension: 710 then enter pin  35498'''
 
* Ottawa (local call in Ottawa) 1-613-454-1403
 
* Ottawa (local call in Ottawa) 1-613-454-1403
 
* North America (toll free) 1-866-569-4992 (new number),  1-877-369-7806 (old number)
 
* North America (toll free) 1-866-569-4992 (new number),  1-877-369-7806 (old number)
Line 19: Line 20:
 
* UK (toll free) 0800-033-7806
 
* UK (toll free) 0800-033-7806
 
* Switzerland (local call anywhere in Switzerland) +41-44-580-2115
 
* Switzerland (local call anywhere in Switzerland) +41-44-580-2115
* Check [[Asterisk/Numbers]] for more phone numbers
 
 
::'''For all phone lines: Participant conference extension: 710 then enter pin  35498'''
 
  
 
* SIP clients:  
 
* SIP clients:  
 
+
:call 710@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 35498.
::call 710@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 35498.
+
  
 
|}
 
|}
Line 39: Line 36:
 
| Chris Aniszczyk  
 
| Chris Aniszczyk  
 
| Technology (PMC)  
 
| Technology (PMC)  
|  
+
| N
 
|-
 
|-
 
| John Arthorne
 
| John Arthorne
 
| Eclipse (PMC)  
 
| Eclipse (PMC)  
|  
+
| N
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Steffen Pingel  
 
| Steffen Pingel  
 
| Mylyn (ALM) PMC  
 
| Mylyn (ALM) PMC  
|  
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Brian Payton  
 
| Brian Payton  
 
| Datatools (PMC)  
 
| Datatools (PMC)  
|  
+
| N
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Doug Schaefer
 
| Doug Schaefer
 
| Tools (PMC)  
 
| Tools (PMC)  
|  
+
| N
 
|-
 
|-
| Adrian Mos
+
| Bob Brodt substituting for Adrian Mos
 
| SOA (PMC)  
 
| SOA (PMC)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Ed Merks  
 
| Ed Merks  
 
| Modeling (PMC)  
 
| Modeling (PMC)  
|  
+
| N
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Ian Bull
 
| Ian Bull
 
| Rt (PMC)  
 
| Rt (PMC)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Chuck Bridgham  
 
| Chuck Bridgham  
 
| WTP (PMC)   
 
| WTP (PMC)   
|  
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Gary Xue  
 
| Gary Xue  
 
| Birt (PMC)  
 
| Birt (PMC)  
|  
+
| N
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Wayne Beaton  
 
| Wayne Beaton  
 
| Eclipse Foundation (appointed)  
 
| Eclipse Foundation (appointed)  
|  
+
|
 
|-
 
|-
 
| David Williams  
 
| David Williams  
| (appointed Chair)  
+
| (appointed Chair)
 +
| Y
 
|}
 
|}
 
|
 
|
Line 90: Line 88:
 
| Cedric Brun  
 
| Cedric Brun  
 
| OBEO (Strategic Developer)  
 
| OBEO (Strategic Developer)  
|  
+
| N
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Neil Hauge  
 
| Neil Hauge  
 
| Oracle (Strategic Developer)  
 
| Oracle (Strategic Developer)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
| Stephan Merker
+
| Stephan Merker (with Kaloyan)
 
| SAP AG (Strategic Developer)  
 
| SAP AG (Strategic Developer)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Igor Fedorenko
 
| Igor Fedorenko
 
| Sonatype (Strategic Developer)  
 
| Sonatype (Strategic Developer)  
|  
+
| N
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Markus Knauer  
 
| Markus Knauer  
 
| Innoopract (Strategic Developer)  
 
| Innoopract (Strategic Developer)  
|  
+
| R
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Markus Tiede  
 
| Markus Tiede  
 
| BREDEX (Strategic Developer)  
 
| BREDEX (Strategic Developer)  
|
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Rajeev Dayal  
 
| Rajeev Dayal  
 
| Google (Strategic Developer)  
 
| Google (Strategic Developer)  
|  
+
| N
 
|-
 
|-
 
| (PMC rep)
 
| (PMC rep)
Line 145: Line 143:
 
: Stephan Merker, SAP AG (Strategic Member rep)
 
: Stephan Merker, SAP AG (Strategic Member rep)
 
: Chuck Bridgham: WTP PMC (PMC rep)
 
: Chuck Bridgham: WTP PMC (PMC rep)
 +
 +
''Welcomed new members, and Stephan and Chuck introduced themselves. Many thank to Kaloyan for his years of service on the Council.''
 +
 +
* Critical IP/review dates announced.
 +
: For details, see [http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/cross-project-issues-dev/msg08897.html this cross-project post from Wayne].
 +
: In brief,
 +
:: May 24/2013 - Deadline to submit IP Logs for Kepler releases
 +
:: June 5/2013 - PMC-approved Review materials submitted to EMO
 +
:: June 12/2013 - Kepler Uber Release review
 +
:: June 26/2013 - Kepler release
 +
: Make sure the projects you represent [http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/cross-project-issues-dev/msg08898.html subscribe to cross-project list].
 +
::If you need a "how to" reminder, see [https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo the general Eclipse.org mailing list page] or [https://dev.eclipse.org/mailman/listinfo/cross-project-issues-dev the specific cross-project page].
 +
 +
''Wayne added other reminders, that there will be renewed vigor in making sure projects have project plans, valid websites, operate in an open-transparent way ... and in some cases this means Wayne will involve the PMCs more (who, after all, are responsible for their projects) so ... Planning Council reps, do what you can to remind/monitor the projects you represent.''
 +
 +
''From Wayne's observations, there are two projects that participate in Sim. Rel., but don't subscribe to cross-project list: DLTK, and Eclipse Runtime Project (both Technology Projects).''
  
 
== Kepler ==
 
== Kepler ==
Line 152: Line 166:
 
* Issues?
 
* Issues?
  
== EclipseCon face-to-face follow-through ==
+
* Be aware that EGit is moving to "3.0" in M7.
  
: Continue discussion from EclipseCon face-to-face
+
''Build currently broken {{bug|407545}}. Some "compatibility issues" being ironed out. (Forgot to mention during meeting, but Markus communicated with me before the meeting, that EPP builds are "looking better" ... so, maybe I can sleep again :) ''
:: [[Planning_Council/March_24_2013]]
+
  
: Come up with actionable items
+
== EclipseCon face-to-face follow-through action items ==
: Solicit volunteers to do the actions
+
  
: The following are notes/actions from discussing the specific items.  
+
For original meeting notes, see [[Planning_Council/March_24_2013]] and for discussion leading to action items, see [[Planning_Council/April_10_2013]].
  
=== Policy on new releases joining SR ===
+
==== Policy on new releases joining SR ====
 +
: dw to update current policy on new releases joining SR in Policy FAQ. Done. See [[SimRel/Simultaneous_Release_FAQ#Can_a_new_project_or_feature_join_a_Simultaneous_Service_Release_.28SR1_or_SR2.29.3F| Policy FAQ]].
  
dw to update current policy in FAQ with the additional detail.
+
==== Build reproducibility ====
 
+
=== Build reproducibility ===
+
  
 
dw to come up with "perfect example". Add to wiki, send to Wayne and Than, and see if some way "CBI" maven task could produce, from template, as part of build output.  
 
dw to come up with "perfect example". Add to wiki, send to Wayne and Than, and see if some way "CBI" maven task could produce, from template, as part of build output.  
Line 178: Line 189:
 
wayne to add item to release review that "there must be a retention policy" (it should cover how long repos stay around, such as milestone repos, and also via ?education? emphasis that it must be "non-changing".) And then Planning Council can add extra rules for sim. release, if necessary.  
 
wayne to add item to release review that "there must be a retention policy" (it should cover how long repos stay around, such as milestone repos, and also via ?education? emphasis that it must be "non-changing".) And then Planning Council can add extra rules for sim. release, if necessary.  
  
=== Release train rules ===
+
==== Release train rules documentation ====
  
 
John and Neil volunteered to improve. The idea is to provide briefer version, but still (probably via hyperlinks?) allow readers to find out "reasons" for a rule. This would be for Luna (due in Fall, after Kepler release).  
 
John and Neil volunteered to improve. The idea is to provide briefer version, but still (probably via hyperlinks?) allow readers to find out "reasons" for a rule. This would be for Luna (due in Fall, after Kepler release).  
  
=== Release train rhythm ===
+
==== Release train rhythm ====
 
+
We don't anticipate any changes to rhythm, but perhaps more emphasis/education on milestones. (Perhaps, eventually, add idea of "1 milestone" to SR cycles).
+
  
 
Wayne volunteered to add suggestion/idea to GSOC database to make some user friendly way that users could say "I want to follow beta releases" ... this would add the "current" development stream URL to update sites, so they'd get updates from milestones, without having to know about it, and manually add it.  
 
Wayne volunteered to add suggestion/idea to GSOC database to make some user friendly way that users could say "I want to follow beta releases" ... this would add the "current" development stream URL to update sites, so they'd get updates from milestones, without having to know about it, and manually add it.  
 
=== The release train and RT ===
 
 
No actions came from this discussion. It was thought that if/when RT projects begin to ''need'' coordination, that we are
 
certainly open to changes in "rules" that make it more accommodating. (But ... we don't know if any concrete rules that are
 
inhibitors (all can have exceptions) ... but the mere act of coordinating schedules, if there is no need to coordinate with others, is inhibiting). If RT stacks are all relatively independent of IDE, and each other, they often prefer to set their
 
own schedules, etc. There might be a day when there could be some "marketing" advantage, say to announce large maven central update, or something, might be interesting to Rt projects ... but, not clear its needed now. 
 
  
 
=== Orbit ===  
 
=== Orbit ===  
Line 201: Line 203:
 
== Next Meeting  ==
 
== Next Meeting  ==
  
* May 5, 2013 - First Wednesday Meeting
+
* June 5, 2013 - Regular First Wednesday Meeting - our last before release
 +
* July -- No meeting in July - we will be relaxing after release
 +
* August 7, 2013 - Regular First Wednesday Meeting ... almost time for SR1!
  
 
== Reference  ==
 
== Reference  ==

Latest revision as of 13:01, 8 May 2013

Contents

[edit] Logistics

Meeting Title: Planning Council Conference Call
Date & Time: Wednesday, May 08, 2013, at 1200 Noon Eastern
Dial in: (See Asterisk service for complete details on SIP, potential new numbers, phone mute commands, etc.)

Phone Numbers: (Check Asterisk/Numbers for more or current phone numbers.)

For all phone lines: Participant conference extension: 710 then enter pin 35498
  • Ottawa (local call in Ottawa) 1-613-454-1403
  • North America (toll free) 1-866-569-4992 (new number), 1-877-369-7806 (old number)
  • Germany (local call anywhere in Germany) +49-692-2224-6059
  • France (local call anywhere in France) +33-17-070-8535
  • UK (toll free) 0800-033-7806
  • Switzerland (local call anywhere in Switzerland) +41-44-580-2115
  • SIP clients:
call 710@asterisk.eclipse.org, then enter pin 35498.

[edit] Members and Attendees

PMC (and Strategic) Reps
Chris Aniszczyk Technology (PMC) N
John Arthorne Eclipse (PMC) N
Steffen Pingel Mylyn (ALM) PMC Y
Brian Payton Datatools (PMC) N
Doug Schaefer Tools (PMC) N
Bob Brodt substituting for Adrian Mos SOA (PMC) Y
Ed Merks Modeling (PMC) N
Ian Bull Rt (PMC) Y
Chuck Bridgham WTP (PMC) Y
Gary Xue Birt (PMC) N
Wayne Beaton Eclipse Foundation (appointed) Y
David Williams (appointed Chair) Y
Strategic Reps
Cedric Brun OBEO (Strategic Developer) N
Neil Hauge Oracle (Strategic Developer) Y
Stephan Merker (with Kaloyan) SAP AG (Strategic Developer) Y
Igor Fedorenko Sonatype (Strategic Developer) N
Markus Knauer Innoopract (Strategic Developer) R
Markus Tiede BREDEX (Strategic Developer) Y
Rajeev Dayal Google (Strategic Developer) N
(PMC rep) Actuate (Strategic Developer) X
(PMC rep) IBM (Strategic Developer) X
Inactive
[no name] CA Inc. (Strategic Consumer) X

Note: "Inactive" refers to Strategic Members or PMCs we have not heard from for a while, and have been unable to convince to participate. Those members can become active again at any time. Contact David Williams if questions.

Note: feel free to correct any errors/omissions in above attendance record.
Y = Yes, attended
N = No, did not
R = regrets sent ahead of time
D = delegated
X = not expected

[edit] Announcements

  • New members:
Rajeev Dayal, Google (Strategic Member rep)
Stephan Merker, SAP AG (Strategic Member rep)
Chuck Bridgham: WTP PMC (PMC rep)

Welcomed new members, and Stephan and Chuck introduced themselves. Many thank to Kaloyan for his years of service on the Council.

  • Critical IP/review dates announced.
For details, see this cross-project post from Wayne.
In brief,
May 24/2013 - Deadline to submit IP Logs for Kepler releases
June 5/2013 - PMC-approved Review materials submitted to EMO
June 12/2013 - Kepler Uber Release review
June 26/2013 - Kepler release
Make sure the projects you represent subscribe to cross-project list.
If you need a "how to" reminder, see the general Eclipse.org mailing list page or the specific cross-project page.

Wayne added other reminders, that there will be renewed vigor in making sure projects have project plans, valid websites, operate in an open-transparent way ... and in some cases this means Wayne will involve the PMCs more (who, after all, are responsible for their projects) so ... Planning Council reps, do what you can to remind/monitor the projects you represent.

From Wayne's observations, there are two projects that participate in Sim. Rel., but don't subscribe to cross-project list: DLTK, and Eclipse Runtime Project (both Technology Projects).

[edit] Kepler

[edit] M7 and "end game"

  • Issues?
  • Be aware that EGit is moving to "3.0" in M7.

Build currently broken bug 407545. Some "compatibility issues" being ironed out. (Forgot to mention during meeting, but Markus communicated with me before the meeting, that EPP builds are "looking better" ... so, maybe I can sleep again :)

[edit] EclipseCon face-to-face follow-through action items

For original meeting notes, see Planning_Council/March_24_2013 and for discussion leading to action items, see Planning_Council/April_10_2013.

[edit] Policy on new releases joining SR

dw to update current policy on new releases joining SR in Policy FAQ. Done. See Policy FAQ.

[edit] Build reproducibility

dw to come up with "perfect example". Add to wiki, send to Wayne and Than, and see if some way "CBI" maven task could produce, from template, as part of build output.

dw better educate. Give perfect example on wiki. Emphasize non-changing repos. Give "acceptable" example on wiki. Give "unacceptable" examples on wiki.

dw create "report of changes" from one build to another, one repo to another, so a) individual projects could see if things changed when they should not have; b) PMCs, Team Leads, Planning council could better observe "big picture" of how much change there was, especially related to changes in build input files.

dw start to tag build file project, each build (so we could diff build files).

wayne to add item to release review that "there must be a retention policy" (it should cover how long repos stay around, such as milestone repos, and also via ?education? emphasis that it must be "non-changing".) And then Planning Council can add extra rules for sim. release, if necessary.

[edit] Release train rules documentation

John and Neil volunteered to improve. The idea is to provide briefer version, but still (probably via hyperlinks?) allow readers to find out "reasons" for a rule. This would be for Luna (due in Fall, after Kepler release).

[edit] Release train rhythm

Wayne volunteered to add suggestion/idea to GSOC database to make some user friendly way that users could say "I want to follow beta releases" ... this would add the "current" development stream URL to update sites, so they'd get updates from milestones, without having to know about it, and manually add it.

[edit] Orbit

The Orbit Project Lead (dw) agreed to a plan for a plan ... a plan will be created after Kepler release, by end of August (since July often a "slow" month) ... and implemented in the months after that.

[edit] Next Meeting

  • June 5, 2013 - Regular First Wednesday Meeting - our last before release
  • July -- No meeting in July - we will be relaxing after release
  • August 7, 2013 - Regular First Wednesday Meeting ... almost time for SR1!

[edit] Reference

Kepler Wiki page
Juno Wiki page
Planning Council/Indigo retrospective
Planning Council Members
Simultaneous Release Roles and Simultaneous Release Roles/EMO