Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "Planning Council/March 21 2010"

(Tracking progress and compliance)
(Helios)
 
(17 intermediate revisions by 2 users not shown)
Line 1: Line 1:
== Logistics ==
+
== Logistics ==
  
 
{| cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4" border="1"
 
{| cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4" border="1"
Line 7: Line 7:
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Date & Time:  
 
| Date & Time:  
| Wednesday, March 21, 2010, at [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2010&month=03&day=21&hour=21&min=0&sec=0 UTC 2100 / 2:00 PM local time (Pacific, this time)]
+
| Sunday, March 21, 2010, at [http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?year=2010&month=03&day=21&hour=21&min=0&sec=0 UTC 2100 / 2:00 PM local time (Pacific, this time)]
 +
|-
 +
| Location:
 +
| Bayshore room of the Hyatt Santa Clara.
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Dial-in:  
 
| Dial-in:  
| For the call-in numbers, see the "Project Review" number on [https://dev.eclipse.org/portal/myfoundation/portal/portal.php Foundation Portal] page.
+
| <del>For the call-in numbers, see the "Project Review" number on [https://dev.eclipse.org/portal/myfoundation/portal/portal.php Foundation Portal] page.</del> No dial-in for this meeting.  
 
|}
 
|}
  
Line 24: Line 27:
 
| Chris Aniszczyk  
 
| Chris Aniszczyk  
 
| Technology (PMC)  
 
| Technology (PMC)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
| John Arthorne  
 
| John Arthorne  
Line 32: Line 35:
 
| Oliver Cole  
 
| Oliver Cole  
 
| Tptp (PMC)  
 
| Tptp (PMC)  
|  
+
| R
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Brian Payton  
 
| Brian Payton  
Line 44: Line 47:
 
| Anthony Hunter  
 
| Anthony Hunter  
 
| Tools (PMC)  
 
| Tools (PMC)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Oisin Hurley  
 
| Oisin Hurley  
 
| Stp (PMC)  
 
| Stp (PMC)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Ed Merks  
 
| Ed Merks  
 
| Modeling (PMC)  
 
| Modeling (PMC)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Thomas Watson  
 
| Thomas Watson  
 
| Rt (PMC)  
 
| Rt (PMC)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
| David Williams  
 
| David Williams  
 
| WTP (PMC) (appointed Chair)  
 
| WTP (PMC) (appointed Chair)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Gary Xue  
 
| Gary Xue  
Line 73: Line 76:
 
| Cedric Brun  
 
| Cedric Brun  
 
| OBEO (Strategic Developer)  
 
| OBEO (Strategic Developer)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Stefan Daume  
 
| Stefan Daume  
Line 81: Line 84:
 
| Neil Hauge  
 
| Neil Hauge  
 
| Oracle (Strategic Developer)  
 
| Oracle (Strategic Developer)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Kaloyan Raev  
 
| Kaloyan Raev  
 
| SAP AG (Strategic Developer)  
 
| SAP AG (Strategic Developer)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Markus Knauer  
 
| Markus Knauer  
 
| Innoopract (Strategic Developer)  
 
| Innoopract (Strategic Developer)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Christian Kurzke  
 
| Christian Kurzke  
Line 102: Line 105:
 
| Wayne Beaton  
 
| Wayne Beaton  
 
| Eclipse Foundation (appointed)  
 
| Eclipse Foundation (appointed)  
|  
+
| Y
|-
+
| Mike Milinkovich
+
| Eclipse Foundation (appointed)
+
|
+
 
|}
 
|}
  
Line 143: Line 142:
 
== Helios  ==
 
== Helios  ==
  
* We require a repository, and we require an optimized repository, but turns out "what is a repository" is not agreed to by everyone. See {{bug|306300}} and its predecessor {{bug|305939}}. Do we (Planning Council) agree on what a repository is? Is it fair to dictate that definition, for projects that want to participate in Simultaneous Release?
+
* We require a repository, and we require an optimized repository, but turns out "what is a repository" is not agreed to by everyone. See {{bug|306300}} and its predecessor {{bug|305939}}.
  
 +
: Do we (Planning Council) agree on what a repository is?
 +
 +
: Is it fair to dictate/clarify that definition (now), for projects that want to participate in Simultaneous Release?
 +
 +
: has anyone investigated using unpack from a (pre-release) Java 7? Anyone willing to? See {{bug|290648}}
 +
 +
: Should we make (all) jars files available from common repository? (we currently remove some, when they have a pack.gz file, to save space). 
 +
 +
:: From meeting, it was agreed this was reasonable to expect both original jars and pack.gz files, with P2 compliant metadata, since that has been the expectation all along. While changes might be possible in the future (e.g. next year) its something that has to be worked through, and wide spread agreement achieved.
 +
 +
:: To correct a statement I made at the meeting, there actually is a specification: [http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/review/jsr200/index.html Network Transfer Format JSR 200] though that wouldn't change to overall issue, it at least can shed some light.
 +
 +
<!--
 
* Common repository naming/structure {{bug|291637}} [ongoing]
 
* Common repository naming/structure {{bug|291637}} [ongoing]
  
Line 156: Line 168:
  
 
''Notes from meeting: '' General agreement this was a good thing to do, and dw to write up for further review and/or (optional) adoption.  
 
''Notes from meeting: '' General agreement this was a good thing to do, and dw to write up for further review and/or (optional) adoption.  
 
+
-->
 
=== Cross-Project Teams  ===
 
=== Cross-Project Teams  ===
  
Line 165: Line 177:
 
A new Aggregator is (nearly) ready for testing. I hope to run the new one in parallel with old one. Currently, I'd be reluctant to change the "official" one, this late in the cycle, unless there's really good, important reasons to.  
 
A new Aggregator is (nearly) ready for testing. I hope to run the new one in parallel with old one. Currently, I'd be reluctant to change the "official" one, this late in the cycle, unless there's really good, important reasons to.  
  
 +
<!--
 
[from previous meeting ... ]
 
[from previous meeting ... ]
  
Line 171: Line 184:
 
New question: Should we require projects to specify version numbers in .build file?  
 
New question: Should we require projects to specify version numbers in .build file?  
 
::Technically, if omitted, then simply "highest" one is retrieved from repository. That can be good, easier, but a little less error checking and record of what was intended.  
 
::Technically, if omitted, then simply "highest" one is retrieved from repository. That can be good, easier, but a little less error checking and record of what was intended.  
 +
-->
  
 
==== Tracking progress and compliance  ====
 
==== Tracking progress and compliance  ====
Line 180: Line 194:
 
PMC Representatives: please be prepared to give brief (verbal) summary of the state of your projects. (such as, how many participating, anyone "late" on required or optional things like Accessibility checklists, which were due by end of M6?)
 
PMC Representatives: please be prepared to give brief (verbal) summary of the state of your projects. (such as, how many participating, anyone "late" on required or optional things like Accessibility checklists, which were due by end of M6?)
  
=== Seed list and process for next year's release name ===
+
What should "summaries" show?
  
* ?  
+
=== Process and seed list for Helios +1 ===
* ?
+
 
 +
See Last year's bug {{bug|271054}}
 +
 
 +
Rules and procedure for Helios +1 :
 +
 
 +
Must be Greater than "H" (not too much greater, to leave room for later alphabetized names) but no
 +
strict rule that is has to be literally "I" or "J".
 +
 
 +
Preference given to names that fit the "moon", "gods", or "scientists" themes we've had so far but no
 +
strict rule.
 +
 
 +
We will have cross-project bugzilla open to solicit names until April 8. Then a series of
 +
doodle polls to pick top choice. We will have multiple doodle polls, vote until majority achieved
 +
(anyone know of a voting site that allows first, second, third choice? with "built in" runoff votes?)
 +
 
 +
TODO: open bug this evening, so can be discussed at EclipseCon
 +
 
 +
Planning council will remove any they deem "unsuitable" (as always).
 +
 
 +
Final choice made by May 7 (Helios M7).
 +
 
 +
Planning Council seed list:
 +
 
 +
* <del>Janus</del>
 +
* <del>Iccuris</del>
 +
* Issac
 +
* Ion
 +
* Isis
 +
* Iris
 +
 
 +
=== Anything to discuss for next year's release? ===
 +
 
 +
Things to add/change/remove?
 +
 
 +
How to handle "3.7 stream" vs. "e4 stream"?
 +
 
 +
==== IDE and Runtime-only items ====
 +
 
 +
: IDE Only items "installed" in EPP packages
 +
 
 +
: need to figure out better story for pre-packaged runtimes
 +
 
 +
: Tom and Chris agreed to handle. (will come up with some instructions/examples).
  
 
== ToDo Items ==
 
== ToDo Items ==
Line 190: Line 246:
  
 
* provide concrete instructions for (new) license-consistency requirement ... before M6? (John Arthorne).
 
* provide concrete instructions for (new) license-consistency requirement ... before M6? (John Arthorne).
 
* coordinate community input for next year's name (Oliver says last year this was started "shortly before EclipseCon" ... so now's the time!.
 
  
 
== Other business  ==
 
== Other business  ==

Latest revision as of 18:21, 31 March 2010

Logistics

Meeting Title: Planning Council Conference Call - EclispeCon F2F
Date & Time: Sunday, March 21, 2010, at UTC 2100 / 2:00 PM local time (Pacific, this time)
Location: Bayshore room of the Hyatt Santa Clara.
Dial-in: For the call-in numbers, see the "Project Review" number on Foundation Portal page. No dial-in for this meeting.

Attendees

PMC (and Strategic) Reps

Chris Aniszczyk Technology (PMC) Y
John Arthorne Eclipse (PMC)
Oliver Cole Tptp (PMC) R
Brian Payton Datatools (PMC)
Doug Gaff ??? Dsdp (PMC)
Anthony Hunter Tools (PMC) Y
Oisin Hurley Stp (PMC) Y
Ed Merks Modeling (PMC) Y
Thomas Watson Rt (PMC) Y
David Williams WTP (PMC) (appointed Chair) Y
Gary Xue Birt (PMC)

Strategic Reps

Cedric Brun OBEO (Strategic Developer) Y
Stefan Daume Cloudsmith Inc.(Strategic Developer)
Neil Hauge Oracle (Strategic Developer) Y
Kaloyan Raev SAP AG (Strategic Developer) Y
Markus Knauer Innoopract (Strategic Developer) Y
Christian Kurzke Motorola (Strategic Developer)

Appointed

Wayne Beaton Eclipse Foundation (appointed) Y


Note: feel free to correct any errors/omissions in above attendance record.
Y = Yes, attended
N = No, did not
R = regrets sent ahead of time

Inactive

 ? Nokia (Strategic Developer) X
 ? CA Inc. (Strategic Consumer) X
 ? brox IT-Solutions GmbH (Strategic Developer) X


Note: "Inactive" refers to Strategic Members we have not heard from in a year or so, and have been unable to convince to participate. Those members can become active again at any time. Contact David Williams if questions.



Helios

  • We require a repository, and we require an optimized repository, but turns out "what is a repository" is not agreed to by everyone. See bug 306300 and its predecessor bug 305939.
Do we (Planning Council) agree on what a repository is?
Is it fair to dictate/clarify that definition (now), for projects that want to participate in Simultaneous Release?
has anyone investigated using unpack from a (pre-release) Java 7? Anyone willing to? See bug 290648
Should we make (all) jars files available from common repository? (we currently remove some, when they have a pack.gz file, to save space).
From meeting, it was agreed this was reasonable to expect both original jars and pack.gz files, with P2 compliant metadata, since that has been the expectation all along. While changes might be possible in the future (e.g. next year) its something that has to be worked through, and wide spread agreement achieved.
To correct a statement I made at the meeting, there actually is a specification: Network Transfer Format JSR 200 though that wouldn't change to overall issue, it at least can shed some light.

Cross-Project Teams

Aggregation

Planning Council/Cross Project Teams/Aggregation

A new Aggregator is (nearly) ready for testing. I hope to run the new one in parallel with old one. Currently, I'd be reluctant to change the "official" one, this late in the cycle, unless there's really good, important reasons to.


Tracking progress and compliance

Planning Council/Cross Project Teams/Tracking

How is your tracking going?

PMC Representatives: please be prepared to give brief (verbal) summary of the state of your projects. (such as, how many participating, anyone "late" on required or optional things like Accessibility checklists, which were due by end of M6?)

What should "summaries" show?

Process and seed list for Helios +1

See Last year's bug bug 271054

Rules and procedure for Helios +1 :

Must be Greater than "H" (not too much greater, to leave room for later alphabetized names) but no strict rule that is has to be literally "I" or "J".

Preference given to names that fit the "moon", "gods", or "scientists" themes we've had so far but no strict rule.

We will have cross-project bugzilla open to solicit names until April 8. Then a series of doodle polls to pick top choice. We will have multiple doodle polls, vote until majority achieved (anyone know of a voting site that allows first, second, third choice? with "built in" runoff votes?)

TODO: open bug this evening, so can be discussed at EclipseCon

Planning council will remove any they deem "unsuitable" (as always).

Final choice made by May 7 (Helios M7).

Planning Council seed list:

  • Janus
  • Iccuris
  • Issac
  • Ion
  • Isis
  • Iris

Anything to discuss for next year's release?

Things to add/change/remove?

How to handle "3.7 stream" vs. "e4 stream"?

IDE and Runtime-only items

IDE Only items "installed" in EPP packages
need to figure out better story for pre-packaged runtimes
Tom and Chris agreed to handle. (will come up with some instructions/examples).

ToDo Items

  • provide concrete instructions for (new) license-consistency requirement ... before M6? (John Arthorne).

Other business

  • Reminder: face-face EclipseCon meeting 2:00 to 3:00 (local time) on the Sunday before EclispeCon (3/21) in the Bayshore room of the Hyatt Santa Clara.
  • Followed by "joint meeting" with other councils.

Next Meeting

April 7, Wednesday, Noon Eastern Time.

Reference

Helios Simultaneous Release

Planning Council Members

Simultaneous Release Roles and Simultaneous Release Roles/EMO