Planning Council/March 20 2011
Introduction and Introductions
This is our annual, traditional EclipseCon Face-Face Meetings, Sunday, March 20, At Hyatt, Napa Room.
- 3-4 (Pacific Time) PC face-to-face meeting, followed by
- 4-5 (Pacific Time) Joint Councils Meeting (See Donald's note to list).
|Meeting Title:||Planning Council EclipseCon face-to-face meeting|
|Date & Time:||Wednesday, March 20, 2011, at 3:00 PMC Pacific time. Napa Room|
Members and Attendees
Note: "Inactive" refers to Strategic Members we have not heard from in a year or so, and have been unable to convince to participate. Those members can become active again at any time. Contact David Williams if questions.
Note: feel free to correct any errors/omissions in above attendance record.
Y = Yes, attended
N = No, did not
R = regrets sent ahead of time
X = not expected
- Name that release; Indigo+1. We'll examine votes, and be sure there is a clear winner, and that the winner is not objectionable in some way we didn't think of before. Remember, once we come up with the name, it will have to be "vetted" by Ian/Mike to make sure there would be no trademark infringement, etc. (They might be able to do this "in days", before EclipseCon is over ... but not sure.) (Pascal?)
- Status, plans, and urgency of moving from CVS to GIT. Why it is required, again? (Denis, Wayne?)
- V6 of the Eclipse Road Map ... mostly here for reference. Any feedback should have already been given, I believe, if I understand the dates ... board review is next day.
- Themes and Priorities. (Again, here for reference, may be discussed at joint meeting.)
Eclipse 4.2 vs. 3.8
Next year, what's primary, what's secondary? Do we buy-in to the Eclipse Project's (implied) proposal?
Think of it in these terms ... on a scale of 1 to 10, how important is it to your project and strategic member company you represent to use 3.8 or 4.2 as primary? Think of 1 as very important to stay on 3.8 as primary, 5 is don't care, happy to go along with what others want/need, and 10 is very important to move to 4.2 as the primary?
Long Term Planning discussion
EclipseCon face-to-face is good time to discuss high level, long term issues. The following items are seeds to brainstorming ... please add any of your own. They can range from a thought, question, or a well developed proposal.
- [We will start with a reminder of our mission, purpose, goals, etc.]
- How are we doing? Beside 'being on time' are we achieving the best quality that we can? By focusing our projects on items that have biggest return for investment, for Eclipse as a whole?
- Should we have "must do" items at all? Or, are they just recommendations?
- Are the requirements about right? Too many? Too few?
- Should we have requirement related to bug fix rate? Backlog reduction? unit test coverage?
- Is the release tracking checklist on Portal worthwhile? Should we do away with it? Should we make it better? (More "auto fill-in" ... more "testing" results provide the data for forms, projects provide the exceptions/documentation.
- Who is the audience(s)? (Projects, PMCs, Planning Council, Adopters).
- Is yearly release (with two service releases) the right interval? Should maintenance be quarterly? Should releases be every other year? Or, perhaps, every other year be a LTS releases with "off" year having less maintenance emphasis?
- April 6, 2011 (our regular "first Wednesday" meeting, at Noon Easter).