Planning Council/March 20 2011
|Meeting Title:||Planning Council EclipseCon face-to-face meeting|
|Date & Time:||Wednesday, March 20, 2011, at 3:00 PMC Pacific time. Napa Room|
PMC (and Strategic) Reps
- Name that release; Indigo+1. We'll examine votes, and be sure there is a clear winner, and that the winner is not objectionable in some way we didn't think of before. Remember, once we come up with the name, it will have to be "vetted" by Ian/Mike to make sure there would be no trademark infringement, etc. (They might be able to do this "in days", before EclipseCon is over ... but not sure.) (Pascal?)
- Status, plans, and urgency of moving from CVS to GIT. Why it is required, again? (Denis), Wayne?)
Long Term Planning discussion
- EclipseCon face-to-face is good time to discuss high level, long term issues. The following items are along the lines of "brainstorming" agenda items ... please add any of yours.
- Are requirements/tracking worthwhile? Working? Anything better?
- Is yearly release (with two service releases) right interval? Quarterly? Every other year? LTS releases?
- Next year, should 3.8 be primary platform, still ... or 4.2 be primary, but still "support" 3.8 as secondary?
- How is the RoadMap coming along? (Wayne)
- Progress, but slow. Wayne still working with individual projects that have not provided one (and maybe didn't even know they needed one ... so, sounds like some PMC/mentoring guidance needed?).
- Wayne would like to "extend" the meaning and use of some fields in project meta-data so there projects could summarize their release, etc., instead of sending email or making part of docuware. More could be automated then. Overall summaries provided, etc. Wayne will (likely) send note to cross-project soon with this request.
- New project release tools. Some ready. Some near ready? (Wayne)
- Sounds like Wayne's made some excellent tools to ease and improve the quality of the process. He'll be posting more notes soon (approximately Friday).
- Please encourage your projects to add links to "central" Indigo wiki for New and Noteworthy and Migration Guides.
- TODO: Platform needs to have their own central page, like WTP does ... or, update this wiki every milestone. It currently points to M4 N&N.
- TODO (from previous meeting): dw to add/create add a FAQ item around "what to handle 3.7 vs. 4.1". Will draw from previous working notes.
- EclipseCon Meetings: Sunday, March 20, At Hyatt, Napa Room.
- 3-4 (Pacific Time) PC face-to-face meeting
- 4-5 (Pacific Time) Joint Councils Meeting (See Donald's note to list).
- April 6, 2011 (regular "first Wednesday" meeting.