Planning Council/Juno retrospective
Juno Planning Council retrospective
These notes were collected at the end of the Indigo Release, at 8/1/2011 Planning Council call, specifically just to collect them. And not to solve issues, or even necessarily to suggest solutions, but just to capture issues (good and bad) while the release was still fresh on our minds. Where solutions are suggested below, it is intended to primarily better capture the issue discussed .. not to dictate a or pre-judge a solution. Action plans and solutions will be discussed later.
Juno is the seventh simultaneous release, following Callisto, Europa, Ganymede, Galileo, Helios, Indigo. The Planning Council meets regularly to come up with plans and requirements. Eclipse Foundation projects can voluntarily join the simultaneous release. For meeting minutes, see http://wiki.eclipse.org/Planning_Council.
Comments from PC during 8/1 meeting
These rough notes were captured from the "brainstorming" session. We will refine in future meetings.
Positive things mentioned
(Especially things not mentioned in previous retrospective, such as predictability; we'll assume all those still true unless otherwise stated).
- perceived to be smoother. projects improving with experience. The phrase "well oiled machine" was used to describe it.
Things that could have been better
- The importance (or no) of "non-greediness" requirement seems little understood.
- The use of non-train projects by train projects seems confused/confusing.
- perhaps have an early "freeze" (say M6?) to be sure no "last minute" (untested) surprises.
- query2 case ... slipped through cracks.
- perhaps require or suggest "one release" before joining train
- we currently do not track or have an easy way of knowing which projects have no one subscribed to cross-project list?
See also last year's retrospective