Planning Council/June 08 2016
|Meeting Title:||Planning Council Conference Call|
|Date & Time:||Wednesday, June 8, 2016, at 1200 Noon Eastern|
|Dial in:|| (See Asterisk service for complete details on SIP, potential new numbers, phone mute commands, etc.)
Phone Numbers: (Check Asterisk/Numbers for more or current phone numbers.)
Members and Attendees
Note: "Inactive" refers to Strategic Members or PMCs we have not heard from for a while and have been unable to convince to participate. Those members can become active again at any time. Contact David Williams if questions.
Note: feel free to correct any errors/omissions in above attendance record.
Y = Yes, attended
N = No, did not
R = regrets sent ahead of time
D = delegated
X = not expected
- Welcome Marc Khouzam as the Ericsson representative to Planning Council.
- Any others?
Previous meeting minutes
- Review previous meeting minutes if you'd like. That is, review them before the meeting, but if questions or issues with previous minutes, this would be a good time to bring them up.
- Dates (and RCs) for Neon.1 (etc.)
- Nick provided proposal on 'discussion page'. ACTION ITEM He will "flush out", especially for M4 and M6 too (and M1 and M3 and M7 :) -- just no "update releases" with those
- One "new thing" to announce to Cross-Project list, once formally established, is that "new projects joining the train must declare their intent and be in the Sim. Release build by Checkpoint 1". This would be roughly August 1st, for example, for the September release."
- There has been a lot of discussion about "giving up release name" and using "date" instead.
ACTION ITEM: Wayne to discuss with Ian on how best to get more data from our community of users.
This is still a "hot topic", but deferred discussion until hear more from Wayne on if more "input from community of users" can be expected.
old (ongoing) stuff
- Release Policy vs. Release mechanics. This is being tracked in bug 483322.
- In M6 we changed to have (nearly) all features to be "root features.
- Now what? That is, can we "stop" adding "reference repositories" via feature p2.inf files?
- "Rolling release" issue.
- I have sometimes heard it suggested we allow more of a "continuous release". Is this something we should discuss? Should we have some long term planning for it? Such as, what would it take to accomplish that?
- This could be planned with or without the "beta stream" mechanisms sometimes discussed.
- Did not discuss much during this meeting, other than to note similarity to above issue.
- Should the ability to update from yearly release to yearly release be a 'requirement'?
- Impossible now, for Neon. Right? (for EPP Packages) Do we still need "streamless-URL" now? I am assuming "no".
- ACTION ITEM from 6/8 meeting. Doug volunteered to "take up" this item to better specify "what does it mean" and "what will it take" to update across major releases. [Doug, it is up to you, but I suggest you form a small team of like 3 people, such as Ian and Dani or, others who know some of the technical issues, to help if they are able and willing.] The goal being just a more specific statement of what it means, and what projects have to do differently for Oxygen. That is, we don't need to reach Nirvana in one release cycle.
- What would this take? (Such as features are never "just removed" but are replaced or transitioned?)
- Preferences, views, etc. have to "migrate" (if their ID changes).
- What testing would projects have to do?
- May become "defacto requirement" once bug 483786 is implemented.
- For Neon we will not have a "streamless" URL, since "won't work" for upgrading to Neon for the EPP packages.
- The newly proposed download page was raised as a potential issue. Technically "not our business, but belongs to the Eclipse Foundation" but am sure they would like to hear our comments and views. Comment in bug 493809.
- August 3, 2016 - Regular First Wednesday Meeting -- We always skip July, since we "just shipped", and due to popular holidays.
- Other announcements:
- Draft Eclipse Project Branding Requirements (Wayne)