Difference between revisions of "Planning Council/June 06 2012"

From Eclipsepedia

Jump to: navigation, search
(Other Business)
(Juno)
 
(7 intermediate revisions by one user not shown)
Line 27: Line 27:
 
| John Arthorne
 
| John Arthorne
 
| Eclipse (PMC)  
 
| Eclipse (PMC)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Mik Kersten  
 
| Mik Kersten  
Line 39: Line 39:
 
| Doug Schaefer
 
| Doug Schaefer
 
| Tools (PMC)  
 
| Tools (PMC)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Adrian Mos  
 
| Adrian Mos  
 
| SOA (PMC)  
 
| SOA (PMC)  
|  
+
| R
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Ed Merks  
 
| Ed Merks  
Line 51: Line 51:
 
| Jesse McConnell
 
| Jesse McConnell
 
| Rt (PMC)  
 
| Rt (PMC)  
|
+
| D (to Tom)
 
|-
 
|-
 
| David Williams  
 
| David Williams  
 
| WTP (PMC) (appointed Chair)  
 
| WTP (PMC) (appointed Chair)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Gary Xue  
 
| Gary Xue  
Line 63: Line 63:
 
| Wayne Beaton  
 
| Wayne Beaton  
 
| Eclipse Foundation (appointed)  
 
| Eclipse Foundation (appointed)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|}
 
|}
 
|
 
|
Line 79: Line 79:
 
| Neil Hauge  
 
| Neil Hauge  
 
| Oracle (Strategic Developer)  
 
| Oracle (Strategic Developer)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Kaloyan Raev  
 
| Kaloyan Raev  
 
| SAP AG (Strategic Developer)  
 
| SAP AG (Strategic Developer)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Igor Fedorenko
 
| Igor Fedorenko
Line 91: Line 91:
 
| Markus Knauer  
 
| Markus Knauer  
 
| Innoopract (Strategic Developer)  
 
| Innoopract (Strategic Developer)  
|  
+
| Y
 
|-
 
|-
 
| Christian Kurzke  
 
| Christian Kurzke  
Line 99: Line 99:
 
| Achim Loerke  
 
| Achim Loerke  
 
| BREDEX (Strategic Developer)  
 
| BREDEX (Strategic Developer)  
|  
+
| R
 
|-
 
|-
 
| (PMC rep)
 
| (PMC rep)
Line 132: Line 132:
 
* Ready to release?  
 
* Ready to release?  
  
* any thoughts on "non greedy" publishers? (Where did we go wrong?! :)   
+
* any thoughts on "non greedy" publishers? (Where did we go wrong?! :)  More seriously, Jetty and ECF have made recent changes to be "non-greedy" which I think is good but '''might''' cause some churn. dw to send out note to cross-project list this afternoon.
 +
 
 +
* On the topic of "non participating project dependencies"
 +
:: http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/eclipse.org-planning-council/msg02027.html
 +
:: We have discussed and decided this recently: See [[Planning_Council/March_07_2012#What_to_do_about_Papyrus_.28and_non_released_XWT_dependency.29]] and {{bug|370974}}. The conclusion was:
 +
 
 +
<cite>
 +
A project can not be in the Sim. Release, or Released at all, if they include
 +
things that are unreleased from other projects (and this is true of any
 +
release, not just Sim. Release).
 +
 
 +
A project can include releases from other Eclipse projects, even if that other
 +
project is itself not part of the Simultaneous Release. This still requires the
 +
"other project's release" meets all the requirements for Release and Sim.
 +
Release ... signed jars, about.html file, etc. This is conceptually just like
 +
including a third party package from Orbit ... the original authors do not
 +
"participate" in the Release, but the bundles meet all the release
 +
requirements.
 +
</cite>
 +
 
 +
''dw to send note clarifying policy. For future reference: here is the FAQ about our policies: See [[SimRel/Simultaneous_Release_FAQ#Policy_FAQs]]''
  
 
=== Issues or Exceptions ===
 
=== Issues or Exceptions ===
Line 156: Line 176:
 
* [TODO] dw to follow up with Andrew to get [[Asterisk]] bridge for planning council calls.
 
* [TODO] dw to follow up with Andrew to get [[Asterisk]] bridge for planning council calls.
  
* ?
+
* John mentioned at end of meeting, for awareness, that current plan from Eclipse Project is that there will be no 3.9 next year, only 4.3, for Kepler.
  
 
== Next Meeting  ==
 
== Next Meeting  ==
  
* Skip July?
+
* We will skip July.
  
 
* August 1, 2012 (our regular "first Wednesday" meeting, at Noon Eastern).
 
* August 1, 2012 (our regular "first Wednesday" meeting, at Noon Eastern).
:: Conduct (or begin) our year "debrief" on what went well, what could be better (Finish in September, and in September begin "planning for Kepler").
+
:: Conduct (or begin) our yearly "debrief" on what went well, what could be better (finish in September if needed, and in September begin "planning for Kepler").
  
 
== Reference  ==
 
== Reference  ==

Latest revision as of 14:40, 6 June 2012

Contents

[edit] Logistics

Meeting Title: Planning Council Conference Call
Date & Time: Wednesday, June 06, 2012, at 1200 Eastern
Dial-in: For the call-in numbers, see the "Project Review" number on Foundation Portal page.

[edit] Members and Attendees

PMC (and Strategic) Reps
Chris Aniszczyk Technology (PMC)
John Arthorne Eclipse (PMC) Y
Mik Kersten Mylyn (ALM) PMC
Brian Payton Datatools (PMC)
Doug Schaefer Tools (PMC) Y
Adrian Mos SOA (PMC) R
Ed Merks Modeling (PMC)
Jesse McConnell Rt (PMC) D (to Tom)
David Williams WTP (PMC) (appointed Chair) Y
Gary Xue Birt (PMC)
Wayne Beaton Eclipse Foundation (appointed) Y
Strategic Reps
Cedric Brun OBEO (Strategic Developer)
Stefan Daume Cloudsmith Inc.(Strategic Developer)
Neil Hauge Oracle (Strategic Developer) Y
Kaloyan Raev SAP AG (Strategic Developer) Y
Igor Fedorenko Sonatype (Strategic Developer)
Markus Knauer Innoopract (Strategic Developer) Y
Christian Kurzke Motorola (Strategic Developer)
Achim Loerke BREDEX (Strategic Developer) R
(PMC rep) Actuate (Strategic Developer) X
(PMC rep) IBM (Strategic Developer) X
Inactive
[no name] CA Inc. (Strategic Consumer) X

Note: "Inactive" refers to Strategic Members or PMCs we have not heard from for a while, and have been unable to convince to participate. Those members can become active again at any time. Contact David Williams if questions.

Note: feel free to correct any errors/omissions in above attendance record.
Y = Yes, attended
N = No, did not
R = regrets sent ahead of time
D = delegated
X = not expected

[edit] Announcements

  •  ?

[edit] Juno

  • Ready to release?
  • any thoughts on "non greedy" publishers? (Where did we go wrong?! :) More seriously, Jetty and ECF have made recent changes to be "non-greedy" which I think is good but might cause some churn. dw to send out note to cross-project list this afternoon.
  • On the topic of "non participating project dependencies"
http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/eclipse.org-planning-council/msg02027.html
We have discussed and decided this recently: See Planning_Council/March_07_2012#What_to_do_about_Papyrus_.28and_non_released_XWT_dependency.29 and bug 370974. The conclusion was:

A project can not be in the Sim. Release, or Released at all, if they include things that are unreleased from other projects (and this is true of any release, not just Sim. Release).

A project can include releases from other Eclipse projects, even if that other project is itself not part of the Simultaneous Release. This still requires the "other project's release" meets all the requirements for Release and Sim. Release ... signed jars, about.html file, etc. This is conceptually just like including a third party package from Orbit ... the original authors do not "participate" in the Release, but the bundles meet all the release requirements.

dw to send note clarifying policy. For future reference: here is the FAQ about our policies: See SimRel/Simultaneous_Release_FAQ#Policy_FAQs

[edit] Issues or Exceptions

[edit] Any issues? Everyone in? Any exceptions known?

Exceptions for projects not in M4, that still will to join Juno:
Virgo approved during 1/05 meeting (from rt PMC list, will be in M6)
BPEL approved on mailing list (as late for M4, but in M5)
Code Recommenders approved on mailing list (as late for M4, but in M5).
Koneki project approved on mailing list (as late for M5, but joining in M6).
Papyrus
Others?

[edit] Anyone "dropping out" that should be removed from aggregation build?

  • Assuming, for now, all "legal requirements" can be met? [In future years, should we have stricter deadline? e.g. RC2?]
  •  ?

[edit] Other Business

  • [TODO] dw to follow up with Andrew to get Asterisk bridge for planning council calls.
  • John mentioned at end of meeting, for awareness, that current plan from Eclipse Project is that there will be no 3.9 next year, only 4.3, for Kepler.

[edit] Next Meeting

  • We will skip July.
  • August 1, 2012 (our regular "first Wednesday" meeting, at Noon Eastern).
Conduct (or begin) our yearly "debrief" on what went well, what could be better (finish in September if needed, and in September begin "planning for Kepler").

[edit] Reference

Juno Wiki page
Planning Council/Indigo retrospective
Planning Council Members
Simultaneous Release Roles and Simultaneous Release Roles/EMO