Skip to main content
Jump to: navigation, search

Difference between revisions of "Planning Council/January 05 2011"

(Indigo Status)
(Indigo Plan and Schedule)
Line 186: Line 186:
* See also [[indigo| Indigo Wiki page]]
* See also [[indigo| Indigo Wiki page]]
=== Issues and Proposal for 3.7 versus 4.1 ===
* See working notes in
== Other business  ==
== Other business  ==

Revision as of 12:46, 5 January 2011


Meeting Title: Planning Council Conference Call
Date & Time: Wednesday, January 05, 2010, at 1200 Eastern
Dial-in: For the call-in numbers, see the "Project Review" number on Foundation Portal page.


PMC (and Strategic) Reps

Chris Aniszczyk Technology (PMC)
John Arthorne Eclipse (PMC)
Oliver Cole Tptp (PMC) X
Mik Kersten Mylyn (ALM) PMC R
Brian Payton Datatools (PMC)
Anthony Hunter Tools (PMC)
Adrian Mos SOA (PMC) R
Ed Merks Modeling (PMC)
Thomas Watson Rt (PMC)
David Williams WTP (PMC) (appointed Chair)
Gary Xue Birt (PMC)

Strategic Reps

Cedric Brun OBEO (Strategic Developer)
Stefan Daume Cloudsmith Inc.(Strategic Developer)
Neil Hauge Oracle (Strategic Developer)
Kaloyan Raev SAP AG (Strategic Developer)
Pascal Rapicault Sonatype (Strategic Developer)
Markus Knauer Innoopract (Strategic Developer)
Christian Kurzke Motorola (Strategic Developer)
Achim Loerke BREDEX (Strategic Developer)


Wayne Beaton Eclipse Foundation (appointed) R

Note: feel free to correct any errors/omissions in above attendance record.
Y = Yes, attended
N = No, did not
R = regrets sent ahead of time
X = not expected


 ? Nokia (Strategic Developer) X
 ? CA Inc. (Strategic Consumer) X
 ? brox IT-Solutions GmbH (Strategic Developer) X

Note: "Inactive" refers to Strategic Members we have not heard from in a year or so, and have been unable to convince to participate. Those members can become active again at any time. Contact David Williams if questions.


  • Welcome and introduce new members ...
Jubula Project
  • Others? (that is, who am I missing?)

Maintenance Schedule

Helios SR2

2/25/2011 (Fourth Friday of February)

For detailed RC schedules, see Service Release Schedule in master plan

RC1 is getting near ... warmup RC week of 1/17 - 1/21.

Indigo Status

  • nearing M5
  • Approved? exceptions for projects joining (late) in M5 (remember, if any of these projects do not make M5, new exceptions should be requested for M6).
Window Builder (see also intro msg on cross-project list)
Runtime Analysis Tools (see also intro msg on cross-project list)
Enterprise Tools for OSGi (tm) Service Platform
GMF Tooling (GMF Codegen)?
  • Any concrete ideas on how to aggregation timing or workflow? If so, please comment in bug 332942 ... or, should I close it as "won't fix"?

Indigo Plan and Schedule

Other business

  • TODO: the question of "3.7 or 4.1" came up again ... I should add a FAQ item
  • Discussion on build machine QoS (JohnA):
    • Is build machine contention/availability currently an issue for projects?
    • Do we need to adjust schedules to account for this?
    • Consider other measures such as reducing continuous or regular builds during milestone periods?
There was agreement this might become a problem (has been in the past), but not sure if it currently is, and not sure what to do about it if/when it becomes a problem. Its hard to pick favorite projects or take away resources from some committers ... though is is a shared, constrained resource, so might come to that. And by "take away" it it meant to reduce, have various rules about niceness level that are enforced, etc.
TODO: I (dw) agreed to ask webmasters if there was some way to see who was using what how much, as improved understanding might lead to better solutions.
Long term, if it is only a matter of "peak usage", may want to investigate (or, encourage others to investigate:) some sort of "cloud" solution so during final milestone/release weeks we could have 10 slaves, or something, whereas most of the time we just need one or two.
Response: (from email discussion with master webmaster, Denis)
No resources to do "cloud computing" (unless, someone donates it).
In current system, greatest bottlenecks will be hard disk access: "Everyone pulling CVS/SVN/Git files, writing to /shared, uploading to downloads, and so on takes a toll on disk performance. The separation of anonymous/external pserver to another dataset will likely help tons."
There is no way to monitor/track CPU Utilization "by project".
Specific advice to minimize risk (riskiest usage):
Building only when needed,
not running too many builds concurrently,
avoid scanning the file system for nothing (by using find, or chmod * -R for instance),
building during off-peak hours (Fridays, weekend),
minimizing disk operations (copies, moves, deletes, zip, caching 3rd party dependencies, etc),
respecting the Server Storage chart,
avoiding hogging all the RAM...

ToDo Items

  • It is time? ==> Note from Wayne, to Wayne: (from previous meeting) Remember to review plans starting after M4 (at latest) so questions can be clarified before "road map" produced.
  • Was there a note for this item? Wayne teased us all with promise of new tools to check CQs against downloads, which we projects can use ourselves ... but he wasn't ready to tell us about them today and he'll be saying more over next few days or weeks.
  • Need common pages for a) plans b) migration c) N&N?
A contributor ( added these for Eclipse project to Indigo Wiki Page ... but, shouldn't we have central page, with potential for each project to add links to their plans, migration guides, and N&N? Is there a better way?

Next Meeting

February 2, 12 noon Eastern



Indigo Simultaneous Release

Planning Council Members

Simultaneous Release Roles and Simultaneous Release Roles/EMO

Back to the top